I'm looking to replace my center speaker, my set up is as follows:

Kef 2005 eggs

Velodyne CHT 10R

Denon 3802

Denon 2900 dvd

Pio 435xde

Sky +

Lumagen Vision HDP

I have the opportunity to purchase ex demo Kef Q9c for £175 or the Kef 9000Ace center for £195. (are these good prices?)

Which one would you choose, if at all? Would it also be worth using the old center egg as a center rear for 6.1?

What do you think of ex demo speakers from a well known dealer all should be ok...... shouldn't it?

thanks in advance

Steve

W

wookie

The KHT9000ACE is a good price! :eek:

Buy the KHT9000ACE & use it with your eggs, you'll soon wish you had bought at least another two!

V good speakers for both movies and music...

Q9c should work well with the existing setup and won't show the sats up too much.

dishdoc

sharger mate,

What colour Q9c would you be after?

Regards,

Dishdoc

swall101

Hi all

I didn't realise just how big the 9000 ace is, looking at it I'm not going to have enough room under my plasma to site it (i'm using the Alphason ADP3/96-S, which incorporates a center swival column that my plasma fixes to)

here is a link to the website

http://www.alphasondesigns.com/products/adp396s/index.shtml

So it looks like I'm going to have to go for the Q9c in black which is about 70mm smaller.

Am I going to be disapointed? Or will it be a marked improvement over the egg. It just grates me that I can get the 9000ace ex demo for £195 as oposed to £500 new.

Is there £250 difference in sound quality between the Q9c(new £250) and 9000ace(new £500)?

Over to you the experts..............

cheers

Steve

swall101

Any experts out there??????????????

Don't be shy!

swall101

Can anyone recommend a site where there is some experts who can offer some advice..............

pragmatic

I don't know the speakers personaly, so all i can say is that lifestyle speakers usualy have a premium attached to them for their looks more than their sound quality. Although the Q9c will certainly give an improvement over the eggs centre, why don't you sent an email to kef asking them which centre speaker they would suggest as an upgrade from the 2005 egg centre.

swall101

Thanks for the reply, I will email Kef. The reason I posted here was because you generally get some honest opinions from people who have had first hand experience rather than manufacturers burb...... I know some dealers use the forum but I guess they are all away this weekend ;)

Thanks for the reply......

harol

Standard Member
Guess you already made the decision. But i upgraded from Q9c to 9000 ACE and improvement is huge. 9000 ACE at £195 is a bargain.

huntere

Hi Sharger

I am considering a very similar change. Like you 2 reasons - firstly to improve the egg centre, secondly to free it up for 6.1.

At the S&V show I talked to KEF about this change.

They suggested any centre from the KHT range would work (as they all have the same timbre). A q9C while being "better" than egg is not sonically the same - but I have read of others on here who have done this happily.

Anyway thats what KEF said to me - incidentally they sort of pushed me toward a 6000 (no sales involved just suggestion ) or less so the 5000. The 9000 wasn't mentioned - could it be too good for matching up to eggs?

Let us know how you get on

DarkDogZA

harol said:
Guess you already made the decision. But i upgraded from Q9c to 9000 ACE and improvement is huge. 9000 ACE at £195 is a bargain.
Bargain for sure...I demo'd the 6000s this weekend and matched to a velodyne sub on a 3806 sounded fantastic despite not being run in.

the 6000s retail for 250 each :(

SeanT

sharger said:
Can anyone recommend a site where there is some experts who can offer some advice..............
can anyone recommend a site where there are some patient people who can wait for some advice..........

best advice when getting speakers is to demo them :)

i've never had any trouble with the Q9C and I'm using it with some rather large 2.5 way floorstanders........

if you can only fit the Q9C, get it, a lot of people are still living with a Q6C that came in a package with much larger (than eggs) Q1 and Q4 fronts

Trending threads

Top Bottom