1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q95C or Q6c???? Q9c probably not an option...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by handles9, Oct 27, 2004.

1. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, have I real dilemma and I'm not sure what to do - I'd appreciate any advice...

At the moment I have a Q95c sat between two Q5s under a Pioneer 504. The centre speaker goes nicely with the plasma, not so nicely with the Q5s. As a result, the wife just gave permission to go for a Q9c, which would look real nice. Problem is the height of a Q9c is 8 inches - the shelf I need to put it on is only 7 1/2 inches.

So I'm looking at a q6c. Local sevenoaks tell me it'll probably be a better match tonally for the Q5s, but as the drivers in the Q5/Q95c are 165mm and 160mm respectively and the q6c is 130mm I'm not convinced. Anyone have an opinion?

Cheers,

Stu

2. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, should have made it clear - alternatives are:

1) Q6c
    2) Stay with Q95c
    3) Saw the bottom off a Q9c... :confused:

3. jacovn

jacovn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is Adjusting the shelf not an option ?

Jaco

4. handles9

handles9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry no, it's an alphason AD3/105-S glass and aluminium jobbie, with complicated rods and tubes. I really want the centre speaker (if I get a new one) on display as well, so hiding it behind isn't really a good option either...

no one got any experience of a 6c against a 95c? :lease:

5. jacovn

jacovn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No not with these specific speakers, although i can share some experience with other kef speakers.
    I have owned different kef speakers with a Uni-Q driver (70s, 100, 200, Q70, Ref. 2, Ref. 203 and Ref. 204c) over the years.

On the older series i have found thet the difference between the Uni-Q unit with 19mm and a 25 mm high driver combinations intergrate less than if you use all the same drivers.
    The new UNI-Q units with a metal dome sound to me complete different than the older soft dome versions.

Jaco