1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Q7 or canton vento 807dc ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fredperry, Jul 2, 2005.

1. fredperry

fredperry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to a few shops today to demo some speakers and I got two offers from two different shops for two different speakersets.
    Since the demo's were in defferent shops and neither of the two shops had the both speakersets, it is rather hard for me (no previous high quality speakers) to decide which speakers please me the most.
    Therefor I decided to hear what you guys have to say about the two sets.

- KEF Q7 for € 850,- (pair) (£ 575,-)
    - CANTON Vento 807DC for € 798,- (pair) (£ 540,-)

I haven't got a receiver or other speakers
    They'll be used in home cinema system.

I'd appreciate it.

2. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have Kef Q7 but don't know the Cantons to comment. Be aware though that the Kef range is being replaced. The price you quote is below the UK list price which was £799 but I picked mine up for £599 8 months ago when they were still current. Have you been quoted this price based on them being discontinued? If you are looking at adding the matching surround speakers then you will have to buy them now or risk being forced to trail the classifieds. There are other posts with details of the new range.

3. fredperry

fredperry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was indeed the reason. The salesman was honest about that fact (wasn't aware of that at that moment)
    He suggested to combine the Q7 with some Q1's and the Q9CA.
    (and the Yamaha V1500 receiver)
    As for the prize : they come from € 1350,- / £ 915,-

For the cantons the salesman suggested CD10's and AS22 and the center from the vento series (805cm I believe)

4. fredperry

fredperry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a third shop and there they had mission speakers.

I demo'ed the m34 and m33 speakers.
    Their they suggested the m34i + m3c2i + m3as and at first the m32i for the rear speakers. But I'd take a pair of m33's I think instead, because of the room layout.

Question : are the m35's a big improvement over the m34's? Is it worth it to pay a bit more and go for the m35's?

I think I'm going for the kef package or the mission package.

KEF : 2x Q7 + 2x Q1 + 1x Q9CA
    Mission : 2x m34 + 2x m33 + m3c2 + m3as

These packages were about the same prize. As you can see, the KEF package comes without a sub.

My impressions :
    The KEF Q7 were a bit nicer to listen to compared to the m34's, but the missions were £125 cheaper. Probably the m35 are on par with the Q7 when it comes to pricing?
    But the mission have the advantage (for me) that the rear speakers are also floorstanders. Furthermore I get the impression that the mission centerspeaker has more 'potential'.

5. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have Kef Q2DS at the back which are very nice thought a pretty substantial speaker for wallmounting.
    Q9 centre is definitely the weakest speaker in the setup.

6. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The Canton Vento range is brand new, they are stunning. If you have not heard them yet, you need to audition some. we have just had a 'best buy' on the Vento 809 - awesome

If you have any questions about Canton feel free to pm me.

regards

JJ