1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q7 lacking bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by toni_montana, Aug 24, 2005.

1. toni_montana

toni_montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I blindly bought a second hand pair of Kef Q7s for a decent price and am running them off a Pionner AX5is amplifier. I am currently using some extremely cheap speaker wire until I get my room sorted and buy the appropriate lengths.

The speakers seem to be lacking bass. Would improved speaker wire help or bi-amping from the Pioneer? I would expect more bass from such a large speaker and amplifier.

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

The Q7 are known for a lower than expected bass extension. Replacing the 'cheap wire' :eek: with real speaker cord will improve matters considerably. At the risk of re-opening a HUGE can of worms, consider bi-wiring them, I personally felt it made a difference. Placement can improve the bass a bit as well, if possible move them closer to the wall, the bass driver is rear ported and this can increase bass extension. Im not a 'bass junkie' and i'm not for one second implying that you are, but if they (Q7) are used in a properly integrated system and the crossover settings are correct your sub will provide you with all the bass extension you need. The sub is, after all, there for that specific purpose. If you don't have a sub, then that renders my comment mute and me a plonker :rotfl:

Skinny

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Bearing in mind you are also not happy with the sound from your subwoofer I would suggest that you have a setup problem. I would suggest that you give details of how you have it all setup on your other thread in the subwoofer forum rather than have two threads running concurrently on the same theme.

4. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the ax5i has a lot of settings. mess around and change them

5. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    As you can see I run a pair of Q7s as my front end and I cannot complain about the amount of base that regularly oozes from them and my sub, it did take some time to get them integrated but it was well worth the effort, stick with them and they will reward.

6. montrone2

montrone2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

if you want bass, try to change your speaker main settings from LARGE to SMALL and see the difference!(check the crossover cut too if you use small)

Anyway this pio souds a little bit high....

ciao