1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Q7 AV or Mordaunt Short THX 500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lez, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Lez

Lez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Help

Have a budget of around £2k for a 7.1 set up.

Have listen to both systems but a few weeks apart from each other, think both are great so think it's likely to be best value which Mordaunt are coming up cheeper.

Any one have any experiences with either?

Or could name a few outlets to find the best prices available.

Thanks
    Les

2. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there les,
    I have owned the M-S 500 THX package for a few months, alas sold it in favour of M and K's, but i found it to be a 'good' speaker package. I am not sure if it was only my room but i was not overally impressed by their performance..
    Firstly: the in built subs are no alternative to a seperated one IMO, they just seem pretty 'weedy' and do not cope very well at volumes anywhere near reference level.
    Secondly: the rears, the 506's were particularly not very impressive, probably because of my room as i have slanted walls and so i could only get the about 50 cm about ear height, thye probably needed more space and to be mounted higher to work more effectively. Basically i don't like bi-pole speakers, so if it is your thing you will like them but i prefer di-pole speakers, well the idea anyway, such as the m and k's which have 3 speakers, and one directing at the listener.
    but apart from that i can have no complaints, they are great speakers for the price, have to see how my new m and k's compare to them.
    Haven't heard the Kef's but heard a lot of good things
    cheers
    Fred

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lez - the biggest thing to consider when making this descision is that, whilst the mordaunt short package may be cheaper, it doesn't necessarily represent the best 'value'.

The Kef Q7AV package includes a subwoofer, and is more musical than the Mordaunt Short package, which - if musicality matters to you - should play an important part in helping you decide.

Also noteworth is that because the Kef package has a subwoofer, it's going to be easier to get sounding 'just right' in smaller listening rooms, as you can more easily control the amount and character of bass in your listening room.

Were it my money, I'd definitely choose the Kefs.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Les,

I'm afraid that I haven't heard either of them but I do feel that if you are spending that sort of money that you should try and audition a set of M&K speakers as well.

5. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At 2k theres plenty of choice.Why not try a mix and match 7.1 setup?Id say spend the most on a decent pair of main speakers if music is important to you.Monitor audio silver series sound fab with music but may be too lean for HT,B&W 600 series provide both power and refinement-try this combo:604s3 fronts £800, 602 s3 side rears and rear effect £600, LCR600 centre £250(i think) and a ASW675 £650.Should be able to get a hefty reduction if you buy em all from the same dealer.Ive only heard the 602s3 as i used to own some and they were hard to beat at their price point...just a suggestion:cool:

Zoolander:D

6. Lez

Lez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks all

The speakers will be mainly used for Film viewing.

My current speakers are all seperates, Fronts - Tannoy Flr standers (I Think they were M1), Centre Wharfdale Valdaus, Rears MS 20I pearls & a Paradim PS100 Sub

I'm trying to keep to one style of speaker on the basis I have just finished putting my Home Cinema room together (4 x 3M), I would like to keep in with asthetics (part of the deal with the other half).

Kefs do sound the favourite at the moment, not sure I'm keen on the Sub arrangement on the M/S fronts.

Now just got to find the best price.....

If I get a chance to audition some MK's I will, see if that make's me have a re think.

Lez

7. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im afraid a room measuring at just 4m x 3m maybe abit too small to accomodate the Q7 AV package as the front speakers are quite hefty.I think compact speakers like the mission 782se will work better,add the 78c se and 2 pairs of 780se+ a decent sub and you'll have a package that is far better suited to your room.Also,it will fare better if you plan on getting into multichannel music (SACD/dvd-A).

Zoolander:D

8. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm very impressed with my Q7 package. I can't compare to the other speakers you mentioned and I'm still running in/setting up but they do seem to handle movies without struggling at all. I was told they need a powerful amp (hence my AX5i:D ) and they seem to perform with great finesse and clarity.

See my sig for my setup and any questions just ask.

Cheers

Dave

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if ****home cinema**** is your main concern and you have a room of only 4m X 3m then why not try a miller and kreisel sub sat package such as one of the K series, you should get a complete pack for around £1500-£2000 mark
    cheers
    Fred

10. Lez

Lez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Dave777

How bigs the room you have yr Q7 system set up in?

I'm also looking at the AX5i amp.

Lez

11. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Lez

I have heard both the systems mentioned and recently purchased the Mordaunt Shorts.

In my opinion they were not quite so good as the Kefs for music (but still ok) but better at Home Cinema.

I love the warm, rich sound you get when you watch a film at a decent cinema and the MS 500 THX replicates that experience for me at home better than any other equivalently priced speakers. I fully accept that you can get better speakers if you pay more money.

My advice would be to listen to both sets of speakers again and take your time before making your decision.

Megson

12. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone asked before, but how big is your room? I was looking at the Q5's as fronts, but have seen the Q7s for £559 (PRCDirect - seems too good to be true) so might be swayed.... are the Q7s MUCH bigger than the Q5 - both physically and sound wise?

13. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry for the delay but I've been away.

The room my system is in is just under 20' by 12'. The plasma is on the 12' wall at one end. See pic attatched. I have not heard the Q5's so I cannot comment on the differences but that price seems very good (less than I paid!). I got all my audio from www.creative-audio.co.uk who were very helpful and gave a good price.

As I said before I am very impressed with the sound and the plasma installer who heard it reckoned it bettered some much more expensive systems he had seen.
    When I shrink some more pictures I will post them here to show the dipole sides and egg rears.

Any questions please ask as I am around for the next few days.

Cheers

Dave

Attached Files: