1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Q5's Or Klipsch RF15's™

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Toolbox, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Toolbox

Toolbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello one and all. :)

I am very new to home theatre and have just built myself a very simple system. I currently have the following peripherals:

• Pioneer DV-373 DVD Player
    • Denon AVR-1803
    • Sony WEGA 34"
    • Wharfedale Diamond 8.4
    • Wharfedale WH-2 Center
    • Wharfedale WH-2 Surrounds
    • Velodyne CHT-12R Subwoofer

I am interested in replacing everything that's made by Wharfedale. I've run into two speaker systems that I really like and would like to know what will be better. I am very much into theatre but I also like listening to music a whole lot.

My choices are between the KEF Q5's and the Klipsch RF-15's or RF25's.

If I go with either the KEF's or Klipsch's, I will get the matching surround and center speakers.

Please remember that I am a complete newby and don't know a thing. Of the choices, which set would you get if you were me?

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I have had to remove the pics as we don't allow image links unless they are to your own webspace or unless you have the express permission of the website owner as effectively they are paying for the bandwidth that you are linking to.

There are many KEF owners here who can advise you on the suitability of their products for home cinema but why did you pick on Klipsch as the alternative as they are all but unknown in this country ?

3. Toolbox

Toolbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries on removing the images. :)

The reason I chose Klipsch is because the shop I went to have them. The best multimedia speakers I've ever owned are Klipsch and the quality is beyond anything I have ever heard. I also didn't know that Klipsch wasn't a popular brand in England. They are quite reputable from where I am from.

I guess I'll go with the KEF's then if no one can attest to Klipsch!

Thanks for the help and just wanted to say that I love these forums. Best A/V Forums I've been to thus far. I'm sure I will get the much needed help I require here.

Cheers. :)

4. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    If music is important to you, I'd perhaps keep the speakers you've got and invest in a separate cd player and 2 channel amp. Your movie sound should still be quite good but music will be much better.

5. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The technical specs of those klipsch are amazing. I haven't saw one neither listen any however, but "on paper" they seem much better than Kefs...

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are many very popular and reputable American brands that never seem to be popular over here and much of that is unfortunately down to the importer / distributor and I would guess that no-one in UK would have heard of M&K if they hadn't been imported by someone willing to put some effort into the brand.

Unfortunately it doesn't answer your question and as I have heard neither speaker on your short list I can't attempt an answer

7. Toolbox

Toolbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mates, after spending the whole day on the web doing research on the speaker systems, I think I am going to go with the Klipsch Setup.

Thank you all for the help and I'll be back for more questions later. For the time being, I'm decided to go for this exact setup - Klipsch RF-25 Home Theatre System minus the subwoofer. The horn tweeters on these things will really help me in my not so perfect imaging.

Cheers all. :)

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've got the Kef Q4s and I've just bought the q9c last night (haven't tested that yet) - but I'm more than happy with them...but as always, try and get a demo...

they're great for music too, I link them upto my nad, and the clarity is amazing, but I also use my sub to make the sound just that bit fuller...!