Kef Q50a's in downfiring mode

jsl20

I may need to move my Kef Q50a's from upfiring to front height/downfiring. Basically they don't fit on top of my LS50s properly and my current positioning isn't leading to a decent result. I'm therefore thinking of mounting them on the wall above my left and right speakers (thanks to Kef for putting a template in the box!).

Has anyone moved to this setup, and if so are there any reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea? Is there a recommended distance between the top of the speaker (the "fat" end) and the ceiling?

I ask mainly because the Dolby website seems to prefer upfiring and ceiling to downward firing height speakers and I don't want to go through drilling holes and re-running Dirac for little gain.

Adziadam

With those down-firing modules, you can mount them to the very top of the wall as I'm pretty sure the drive sits bang in the middle of those speakers as I had them briefly. It would be worth knowing how your room looks etc.. to gauge an idea of what your setup is but watch this video will help a lot

jsl20

I bought a long length of speaker cable yesterday and will set them up as down-firing speakers later in the week. If it doesn't go as planned I'll only be down four screws and £30 of speaker cable!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I bought a long length of speaker cable yesterday and will set them up as down-firing speakers later in the week. If it doesn't go as planned I'll only be down four screws and £30 of speaker cable!

I wouldn´t be suprised if you would prefer them more as height channels vs. upfiring, just by judging peoples feedback who have heard both. Remember to assign them correct as Front Heights before running Dirac again.

jsl20

Four screws and 10m of van damme speaker cable later and they’re on the wall with Dirac redone. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result, overhead effects are much more clearly from overhead but as with all Atmos soundtracks the change is subtle. The first 5 mins of a New Hope are fun, the first scene the ships clearly fly overhead and then the alarms in the rebel ship also come from up top, neither of which was that pronounced when I was using the Kefs in upfiring mode.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Four screws and 10m of van damme speaker cable later and they’re on the wall with Dirac redone. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result, overhead effects are much more clearly from overhead but as with all Atmos soundtracks the change is subtle. The first 5 mins of a New Hope are fun, the first scene the ships clearly fly overhead and then the alarms in the rebel ship also come from up top, neither of which was that pronounced when I was using the Kefs in upfiring mode.

You could still play with the levels from menu if you want them bit more noticeable, but would still need to blend (not overpowering). Great to hear anyway! :smashin:

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I have some q50a in upfiring I wanted to downfire

I thought the move to above would be more dramatic

jsl20

I have some q50a in upfiring I wanted to downfire

I thought the move to above would be more dramatic
They’re definitely better in a down firing position. You get a wall of sound from the front which is fun. I’d definitely recommend the change but don’t expect bullets to fly around your room suddenly.

However, the difference isn’t “wow, this has completely revolutionised Atmos for me”. Maybe I need rear heights to get the full effect of the height channels in objective soundtracks to get this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom