KEF Q50a Upward Firing Atmos Speakers launched - news discussion

Bar the obvious, styling and certain quality cut's, I wonder how different these are from the R50's

Bar the obvious, styling and certain quality cut's, I wonder how different these are from the R50's

same here, particularly since second hand R50's can be had at this price.

Probably still better driver on R-serie, 3rd order audio crossover + higher quality parts (Q serie has 1st or 2nd order), also the cabinet is higher quality (thicker + better braced in bookshelf/tower models) weight difference isn`t big. Specs looks almost identical otherwise.

This also has keyholes at the back so it`s quite easy to wall mount(front wall) just under the ceiling and as the driver is angled it should work nicely there. AVSForum tested some of these upfiring speakers like that and results were great! I think that is a great option if one has wrong type of ceiling. Rather these than the bulky Q150 as height channels.

http://us.kef.com/r50

Q50a Dolby Atmos Speaker Module

I suppose that timbre matching still applies to upfiring speakers so that would be reason alone to choose the Q50a over the R50 for some people.

I’ll stick to my elac debut’s I think. For £450 you would be easier not bothering with updating speakers... they’re not gonna perform any better.

With a deal like that, you'd buy the cheapest speakers you could think of if you have no old pair just to do the deal and your still up! £30 difference for q50 to r50 bar the style and timbre match, isn't much of a big decision if I was in the market for them

Probably still better driver on R-serie, 3rd order audio crossover + higher quality parts (Q serie has 1st or 2nd order), also the cabinet is higher quality (thicker + better braced in bookshelf/tower models) weight difference isn`t big. Specs looks almost identical otherwise.

This also has keyholes at the back so it`s quite easy to wall mount(front wall) just under the ceiling and as the driver is angled it should work nicely there. AVSForum tested some of these upfiring speakers like that and results were great! I think that is a great option if one has wrong type of ceiling. Rather these than the bulky Q150 as height channels.

http://us.kef.com/r50

Q50a Dolby Atmos Speaker Module
I did wonder what the difference was, because on the website specs list, they're identical!

If you had the option, would ceiling fitted speakers be preferable? For similar price.

Quick question about placement for these upfiring speakers.

Basically were turning this room into a proper cinema room this year and at the moment theres cupboards directly above the tv/speaker area. Since upfiring speakers fire out at an angle to bounce off the cealing does the position of these look fine...and the sound wont be messed up by the wood above.. You can see by the position it looks to me like I have them far out enough to not be affected by it and the angle of the speakers should make the sound go past.
435252525.jpg

hdhdhdh.jpg

Specs tell part of the story - what you hear can be quite different. There will be a difference between the R50 and Q50a, just in the same way as there will be a difference between the Q150 and R100.

All this discussion about a dodgy method of "overhead" sound delivery. Kind of humorous

In the right kind of room I'm sure ceiling would be best, but for smaller rooms with low ceilings in the average UK home, upfiring might work better.

Even if you don’t get the full effect of upfiring Atmos speakers, you still benefit from improved height and larger soundstage.

Last edited:
amazing offer!

some retailers are also giving a free pair of Kef KEF M400 headphones also.
shame there is only 2 retailers participating in Scotland....and none in Glasgow!

As for the big question....are the R50's better than the Q50a's?

Did anyone find the answer to this question?

Q50a aestheticlly look so much more pleasing

Did anyone find the answer to this question?

Q50a aestheticlly look so much more pleasing

Specs look identical almost, but one could assume there is better version of UniQ driver in R50 and cabinet should be better aswell (like it is in standmount/tower versions), plus it`s 50£ cheaper so quite a no brainer... :)

But if you still prefer the Q50a aestheticlly then you got to go with them for full satisfaction, buyers remorse is something you don`t want to have! It`s not like they would be bad (AVSF has more owners). Both should have the keyhole at rear now, so you can use them as front heights mounted just under ceiling pointing towards listener if you are not happy with upfiring.

Review: KEF Q50a Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speakers - AVSForum.com

KEF R50 Dolby Atmos Speaker

KEF Q50a Atmos-Enabled Surround Speakers

Does anyone have any spare rubber feet? Mine didn't come with any :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom