1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Q5 or Q7

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Leachio, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Leachio

Leachio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently auditioned the KEF Q5 speakers with the Denon 2805 AMP and was impressed with the sound The plan was to match these speakers with the Q9c centre, KEF PSW 1000.2 sub and 2 KEF 2005.2 'eggs' as the rear.
    (I listen to more music that DVD's which is why I chose the eggs rather than Q1 or Q compact. Also my girlfriend doesn’t want big speakers everywhere!)

During negotiations with the shop they offered me the Denon 3805 amp for the same price as the 2805 :thumbsup: (Maybe as its being replaced by the 3806?)

My questions are:

1. Would the Q7 be a better match for the 3805?
    2. Is the KEF PSW 1000.2 powerful enough? (My room size is 5m by 4m and 3.2m high)
    3. Will the KEF eggs mean a massive reduction on surround sound quality?

Cheers, Ian

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Q7 requires a fair amount of power to do it justice. I'm not sure the 3805 (or any sub £1000 integrated AV amp) will show the Q7s to their best - the bass will likely be a bit flabby. Having moved from an integrated similar to 3805 to a seperate power amp (rotel 1095) I noticed a big improvement.

Also worth noting is that the Q7 tends to drown out the Q9c - to the point I'm considering replacing my Q9c with something in the XQ or Reference range. As for the eggs at the back - they'll probably not do justice to any of the other kit.

Much as I'm a fan of the Q7 (as it meant I didn't bother with a sub) I'd suggest getting the Q5 instead and spending the spare cash on Q1 or Qcompact rears rather than the eggs. If you really want the Q7 demo them with the denon with the other speakers attached and loaded (with sound) just to make sure the power capacity of the denon can cope (as oppossed to just stereo where there are less speakers to drive at any one time).

Hope this helps some
    Andy

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the new kef iq5 if you want to, it's cheaper, is said to be a lot better, and has all the new technologies on top of that...

4. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya i have a pair of Q7's and im running them of a yamaha rx-v640rds - it can be picked up for around £250 - 300, and for this amount of money the amp is excellent, can have 4 main speakers + 2 effects + 2 centres plus 1 sub out. there are many dsp effects and settings to mess around with and i found it very competent with the q7's - it definatly has balls.

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=1011

id definatly do for the q7's and this amp (superfi are selling the q7s at £499.95 in stoke anyways) and this amp are perfectly matched) be sure to give them justic with speaker cable though, the better the cable the better the responce of the music - van den hul cs-122 - qed silver sprial but only buy at a reduced rate from ebay etc these are about £12 and £27 per metre respectivly. save for the effects speakers later!!!! this is an unbelevably good deal DONT MISS OUT ON IT. :lease: :thumbsup: :smashin: ;)

the only problem is that the 1000.2 psw sub will not really have an impact opn your system with the kef q7's it will have to be psw3000 upwards really

5. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful though that the new iQ5 is not comparable to Q5 - it's more an upade of the Q4 (the floor stander with the smaller cones and cabinets). I believe it's as follows for range numbering (old -> new)

I'm not sure all the magazine reviews are so favourable of the new range - or at least no more so that of the current range. IMHO the newer iQ6c will probably be more capable than it's current closest relative the Q9c and similarly the iQ9 over the Q7 but other I doubt any benefit is worth the extra you will pay given good clearance offers at the moment.

Small cone range
    Qcompact -> iQ1
    Q4 -> iQ5
    Q6 -> iQ2c

Large cone range
    Q1 -> iQ3
    Q5 -> iQ7
    Q7 -> Sort of replaced by iQ9 (dual bass cone rather than racetrack base cone)
    Q9c -> Completely updated with iQ6c

Andy