1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q5 or Q7?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AndrewJ, Nov 24, 2003.

1. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just sold all my speakers ready for upgrade. I was looking at th Monitor Audio Silvers, with SFX rears and S6 fronts. However, I am now leaning towards the KEF Q series - and let me tell you if the fact that 'she likes the way they look' helps me in my case then so be it!!

Toying betwen the Q7 and Q5 at the front - lounge is 14-15ft square with 9-10 foot ceilings and nice solid walls and floor .... just a little worried the Q7 may be overkill. Am going (hopefuly) for Q2ds at the back, Q9c centre......

Any experiences good or bad of the 5 and 7 ?

Cheers

2. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Couldnt agree more...... - it paves the way for all sorts of addons once you start.:devil:

The only info I have regarding the Q series is that the cabinet are built and imported from overseas. Not that that should make any difference whatsoever.:smashin:

Regards,

GJC

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    q5's are good enough with the rest of your choice imo,plus they look nice with covers on or off.:smashin:

4. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I went through the same decision making process a few months back. A quick look below will tell you which way I went.

The reason for my decision:

1) In all the reviews I read, the Silver Series was considered superior in both the high and mid range but a shade lacking at the bass end (though since I've had them I can't say I've noticed this). I have to say that I have found the clarity and the apparent placement of individual instruments incredible. I've been re-listening to all my CDs again and hearing subtleties that I had never heard before, fantastic. On the bass side, I look to my Servo 15 (shortly to be two SVS PB2-Plus) for LFE on movies however, not on music, don't feel I need it (and I love bass).

2) When I looked around for the best deals a lot of shops, on giving me their advice said that the Monitor's were of a higher quality than the veneered KEF's. The Monitor's are UK made and look fantastic (I went for their Rosemah - sort of a mahogany colour). Generally the dealers said that the Q5s and Q7s, while a great speaker, that certainly won't disappoint, have had examples not bear up too well to the rigors of day to day life in a household. Some apparently having problems with their veneer (maybe because of humidity problems) and were not considered as being built to quite the same standard as the Silvers. I have no experience on this to confirm or deny, this was only what I was told when enquiring.

3) In shopping around to get the best prices, I discovered that shops are not allowed to sell the Q5 or Q7 over the internet, for mail order. Of , course the best price I found was over 250 miles away!!

4) Not long after I bought my speakers, I had an accident with the centre. Rather than me waffle on here about what happened next, check out this post I made at the time:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=94666&referrerid=26089

In summary, I have been so very pleased with my Monitors and everyone who has heard them has not had a bad thing to say about them. I know, for me, that I made the right choice.

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    don't go for Q2DS Q1s are better for surrounds IMHO

6. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah - thanks but I need them to go on the wall - baby (soon to be toddler) + speakers on stands is not a good idea! Plus the rears are right next to your ear if they are on stands as the sofa is almost back to the wall. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Am going to pop into Audio-T tonight and see if I can demo - they don't seem to have MA in many (if any) shops though....:(

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    AndrewJ - why not audition something like these:

They are mounted on the walls with supplied fixings and should keep fingers at bay.

Link

Regards,

GJC

8. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look nice - but I'm not really aiming to compromise on 'small' speakers so I can get them out of the way - its taking lots of persuasion to get the q2ds 'considered' (not by me I hasten to add!) as they are by no means small!!:D

9. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I understand:smoke:

---

The Q2ds look nice however, I think the consensus is that the Q1's are amazing speakers which should be on your shortlist.

#(Aside)

I think I would go with the Q2ds as there intended purpose has been designed with movies in question.
    Regards,

GJC

10. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    pic of my kefs on wall might help.:)

11. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Great - thanks - anyone else got any Q2ds pics on the wall - dark apple would be great?:zonked:

12. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    pic of q5's as well.(now i know how to send pics theres no stopping me!):D

13. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Here's my Q2DS sides. You can see the 2005.2 at the rear.

Cheers

Dave

Attached Files:

14. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well I had the demos of both yesterday, and preferred (especially with music) the MAs - add to that that dipoles really do not suit the room layout - so have gone for S6, SLCR and S1 at the back - thanks for all the help - got a great price at discountelectrical - anybody in the market for MA could do worse!

Thanks for the advice chaps!

15. gpa

gpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q5's all around and Q9 centre, fantastic sound, looked at 7 but no real advantage

[​IMG]

16. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Great choice, I don't think you'll regret it, I know I haven't.