1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q5 and SACD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ackcheng, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ackcheng

ackcheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a pair of Q5 driven by Onkyo 701 and I am thinking of getting a SACD player like Marantz SA 8260. However, I was told that my speaker cannot even display the range of sound that is captured by the SACD player, using such a player would be a waste. I was told to buy a CD player instead. Any comments?

Yours

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nah, not a waste. Although >20KHz reproduction is one of the selling points of the next-gen digital formats (SACD & DVD-A), it's not the only selling point. SACD should still produce significantly better resolution and signal-to-noise (for the most part) than CD. Indeed, SACD is actually low-passed at 50KHz to get rid of all the high frequency noise inherent to the format - it could be argued that you're better off without the supertweeter if you're just listening to SACD and not DVD-A, hehe.

Have you had a demo of the Q5s with an SACD player? Did it sound better than CD? If so, go for it. If not, don't. It's the only way to know if it's worth your money.

Cheers,

Dunc