Question Kef Q400b has suddenly started to hum! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by midknight, May 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    I have a bit of an issue that reared its head last night when I turned everything off to go to bed I noticed my subwoofer (KEF Q400b) was emitting a hum, it has never done this before so whatever is causing it is new. When I unplug the cable from the amp (Denon 6200) the hum stops but when I plug it back it comes back 90% of the time. However a few times I tried (whilst I was fiddling around) it didn't come back (yay I thought its fixed) but as soon as I ran any signal out from the amp to the sub (i.e. a test tone) the hum returned.
    I am hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on this - I am assuming the issue is either the sub itself or the cable. I am hoping that as the hum goes when I unplug the cable that it could be that (but do cables just suddenly fail!) or is it the sub???

Nothing has changed to my gear, I have not added anything and the hum was not there on Saturday after I watched Deadpool. The ONLY thing I did yesterday was tweak/fiddle with some of the speaker setting on the amp - distance mainly as I realised Audessey had got them all way too far away - I have since tried restoring them but it has made no difference and I think that is more a case of me clutching at straws!).

Anyone experienced something like this before - its weird that up until last night everything was absolutely fine.

2. Violator

Violator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Is it an actual 'hum' or is it a 'howl (like wind howling faintly)? Could be a ground-loop, but could also be the cable. Ground loops often don't stop when you disconnect the cable. So first thing really to try is another RCA cable.

3. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,422
    If the issue was with the sub, the noise would have continued when you unplugged the cable. Sounds more like a cable issue. As has already been mentioned, try that first.