1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q4 and Sub Settings ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevefish69, Jul 15, 2005.

1. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I've just upgraded my fronts from Egg's to Kef Q4's and am overall very happy as the music quality has vastly improved.Can't wait to hear them during film use. This is partnered with the rear and sub remaining 2005.2 setup and a XQ2C Center powered by a Denon AVC-A11SR.

If anyone has a similar setup can you suggest a setting for the crossover etc. I feel that i'll be missing some action by setting the 3 fronts to small and sending <80Hz to the Sub alone. Surely if i lowered the crossover to 60Hz then i may be losing out info on the rears where the eggs cannot keep up.

I'm also stuggling with the switches on the rear or the PSW2010 and cannot seem to find a happy medium using the slope, Cinema/Music and phase switches and I've had to move the position of the sub to accomodate the Q4's which doesn't seem to have helped.

I'll be having my 1st film demo tonight as they have been running in since Wednesday with music only.

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You can set each speaker to be small/large so set rears to small, let the sub help, and for the fronts set to large. Nice centre by the way.

The sub may need relocating, try a few positios before youy fiddle with the exact settings. There's loads of thread and stickys on sub setting and postioning.

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Thanks

Realised that it was the sub position playing up when i done a DVE sweep and lost ALL bass from 50-80Hz.

Just moved the sub from the L/H of the mains to behind the TV, pushed in to corner. Hey presto my bass is back, and immidiately integrated with the Q4's with none of the boominess or dropouts that i had before. Now i've found a better position, i'll have a play with the settings.

The center was part of the reason for upgrading to the Q4's. The clarity of the Q4's and XQ are well beyond the reach of the eggs.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I have all my speakers set to small (including the Q4's) and have the crossover set to 80hz. Play around with what sounds best for your room, for me this is what sounded good to my ears after extensive testing! :)

5. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the Q5's/Q9c and have them set to large with the crossover at 80hz.
    I am not too thrilled with the sound just yet and have only had about an hours time to do a quick setup. Still have to fiddle around a bit with the settings and positioning.
    Glad to see that repositioning your sub helped. :thumbsup:

Using a 7.1 setup finally! :D

6. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After reading that you set your speakers to small I decided to try it out... and was very pleased with the results. :D After some more tweaking to the sub I found that for me it was actually better to set the speakers to small than large. My rec really kills the bass output when I set my front speakers to large and the Q5's can not produce low frequencies that are needed.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Just goes to show why it's always best to experiment! :)

8. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Gonna give it a go this afternoon set to 80Hz and will post the results later.