1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef q4/5, wharfedale evolution 30

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jimmy_b, Sep 21, 2004.

1. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am looking to upgrade my mission bookshelf stereo speakers to floor standers. I aimed to spend about 600 pounds on the pair. They will be partnered with an MF a3.2 amp, and an MF a3.2 DAC fed by a pioneer 565.

Given the sleak looks of both the q5 and evo 30 I really narrowed it down to these 2. I had an in-store demo of the q5 and loved it but now am worrying that my room may be too small (approx 3m by 3m) and I would perhaps be better off with the q4 which I know have a lighter bass. And then there is still the evo 30 which I have little information about....

Could anyone comment on the relative bass of all 3 and which might be best suited to my MF equipment and room size. I listen mostly to indie/rock/folk music (with the odd dance track thrown in)

Thanks in advance
    Jim

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    From the size of your room I think you would be much better of witht he Q4's. I have read the bass on the Q5 is a little slow and from a review I read the Evo 30's put out some serious amounts of bass. Beautiful speakers though esp in rosewood :D In a 3*3m room you will either get swamped or have to plug them up to control the bass :(

Some one with Kef speakers esp. the Q4 should be along soon to tell you if im talking :censored: or not.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    See (hear) also AE Evo3 and Monitor Audio Silver 6...

4. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dfour - your comments are much along the lines I expected. Of course I should try to demo them all at home and see. I've just seen the Q4's available for £289.99 from hispek!!!! Seems like a steal to me and I may just take the plunge! I'll have to go to St Albans to get them but living in London that is no problem.

Falp - I tried the s6 and the bass was too heavy handed for me. That was in a large demo room, let alone my 3*3 lounge! Thanks anyway. Also, I like the tapered look of the kef Qs and the ev 30s so they are very attractive to me at the moment :)

Jim

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    KEF Q's are awesome good looking!

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The s5 will solve that problem but the Q4 are also great. tHE s5 suit my taste better but not really a fan of the the Evo30. After trying the Evo20 I can see their potential in a large room but even the Evo20 have a bit too much bass for a normal room!!

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've just bought the Q4's blindly - they're second hand (with only an hours use) and they cost me 200 quid...how could I say no..? lovely dark apple finish too...

now, I just need the matching centre speaker, then a SVS PB10-ISD and I'll be sorted!

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The MA s2 have better and more controlled bass than the MA S5 for sure...

9. tom bell

tom bell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Wharfedale Evolution 30s have been well reviewed and won a What Hi Fi Supertest last year. They sid they had tight bass but were probably best suited to larger rooms. But the only way to decide is have a demo at a dealer.

10. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    HELLO, I HAVE PAIR OF EVO 30s, A KEF Q9C,A PAIR OF B&W 602.5s,A VELODYNE CHT 10 AND A PAIR OF KEF 2001 EGGS ALL IN A 14FT X 15FT ROOM.THE EVOs ARE BEST SUITED AWAY FROM A WALL BUT CAN BE CONTROLLED NICELEY IF YOU TAKE A BIT OF CARE DIALLING IN YOUR SUB.

11. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the information.

I might try to get a home demo of both the q4 and the evo 30s. Trouble is if I go with the kefs I'd like to get them from hispek (as the price seems so good) and I'd feel bad demoing kit from a local dealer only to turn my back on them to get a cheaper price. If it were a few quid I'd think the extra support from the dealer worth it but with most stores retailing them at 400 the hispek price of 290 would be too tempting.....

Mr Cat - how are you getting on with the Q4s so far? Do you use them mostly for films or music?

Jimmy

12. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Jimmy - they only arrived this morning - had a quick look, they look great...but tonight I'll test them..!