1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q35 problem (smoking)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SharingDOODLES, Jul 20, 2005.

1. SharingDOODLES

SharingDOODLES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    Not sure if i posting in the right place but i am after some help with my Kef, ( Q35 )

I changed my room around n set up my system but for some reason 1 of my speakers began to smoke so i turned everythin of and double checked my connection and everythin seemed fine so i turned it on again and the same thing happend again!

I disconected it and took it apart to see if i could see the prob but i couldn't see anything wrong so i have had to take the tweeter out and inside i could see where it had all burnt so i have taken the base section of (with great care) and all the copper cable inside that is wrapped around the bottom of the base (speaker) is all burnt and stretched,

so i was wondering if it is as simple as buying some more copper cable and re-doing it or does it have to be done in some kind of special way,
    Also any idea why this would of happened as i know how to set up a system and have done so for a while and i checked everythin and it was all in fine? ( apart from the smoke coming out of my Kef ) :oops:

Any help would be VERY much appreciated, :lease:
    Cheers Doodles

Sort pics soon!!

I have searched the net/forum and i know if i was to be able to do it i would need copper wire ( i think ) but what type (if there is a type) and what kind of tention would i need,

2. SharingDOODLES

SharingDOODLES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    :eek:

Contact KEF and buy a new driver!! Re-winding a voice coil is a tricky job even when you have access to the original voice coil drawing, plus a loudspeaker design prototype laboratory and all the correct tools!

The biggest concern is what made your coil go like this - i would suspect that your amplifier is putting out a DC voltage to the speaker output and so i would have the amp checked out before you plug your speakers with new driver fitted back in, otherwise the same thing will happen again.

4. SharingDOODLES

SharingDOODLES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have already had my amp checked out and all is fine with that, (it was still scary turning it on the first time) "Yamaha DSP-A1092"

i have put my old speakers on and set it all up the same way as i always do and it is runnin ok but i still dont know what cased the prob,

i have sent Kef an email, just got to wait for a reply cos after what you said about fixing it i think ill be givin that a miss,

cheers