• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

KEF Q300 Speaker - Should I get a sub?

willisoady

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my set of Logitech Z-680's to a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. I've had limited demonstrations of the B&W 685's and KEF Q300's. The Q300's really impressed me, so much so that I plan to purchase them soon.

From the limited demo which I heard, would you recommend that I purchase these with a sub-woofer? I mostly plan to use the speakers for music with the occasional film, however I'm apprehensive as to whether they can create ample bass for films (explosions etc) and some types of music. If so, what sub-woofer would you recommend that I purchase in the range of £200-300? The BK Gemini MK2 seems quite nice.

Thanks.

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my set of Logitech Z-680's to a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. I've had limited demonstrations of the B&W 685's and KEF Q300's. The Q300's really impressed me, so much so that I plan to purchase them soon.

From the limited demo which I heard, would you recommend that I purchase these with a sub-woofer? I mostly plan to use the speakers for music with the occasional film, however I'm apprehensive as to whether they can create ample bass for films (explosions etc) and some types of music. If so, what sub-woofer would you recommend that I purchase in the range of £200-300? The BK Gemini MK2 seems quite nice.

Thanks.

For music probably the Q300s can do the business but I can't see that it would be an issue to underpin the music with a more significant bass line,
For movies, oh yes, a dedicated sub is the way forward.

Lot's here will point the way for the size of sub, the BK range is excellent and I would have thought the Gemini of the XXLS200 (think that is a bit more cash) should be excellent.

If you could go the full monty then the BX XXLS400 would be spot on, but probably not necessary for mostly 2 channel listening

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
willisoady said:
Hi,

The bass depth of the Q300's is quite astonishing for their size, but to reproduce that sort of bass at high levels is asking a little much of small speakers. A sub will help in this regard.

DenPureSound

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks.

Yes, grab a sub or two... the one and only sub..

Servo subwoofers •Rythmik Audio Direct Servo subwoofers

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom