1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q3 vs Eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by woody123, Nov 5, 2003.

1. woody123

woody123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got at the moment two Q3's and a Q9c - all very good speakers and give a great sound in our house. Also I've no sub.

Question is I need to get some rear speakers - does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go?

Do I either get rid of all my fronts and replace for the Egg 2005.2 set or do I just get a couple of Eggs for the rears?

The Wife would prefer the first proposal as it will clear space in the lounge. I would prefer to do this only if we get better sound quality.

Cheers

James

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's very unlikely that you'll get better sound quality by swapping to a complete system of eggs, particularly if you use the system for music as well.

My vote would be for 2 eggs & a sub.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Kef Q compacts for rears will do very nicely & will match your Q3s. There still not available but are dur to be released this month. They have the same drivers as your Q3s & Q9c so will be a good match. Kef Eggs do not sound as good as Qs & they are not a good sonic match either.rrp for compacts is £200 a pair

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I,ve got a pair of Q35.2s (for runners of Q3s) and a set of the 2005.1 eggs. They are in separate rooms, with the Q35.2s being dedicated to music, only because the wife doesn't want big speakers in the lounge:( . Our lounge is the best room accoustically and I'd much prefer to have the Q35.2s as fronts via stereo amp so as not to compromise music. The Eggs are good especially with regards to WAF, but purely from a sound point of view, compared to the Q35.2s, they are a compromise, less so with movies, but definately so for music.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Croc

5. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crocodile JD,
    Just wondering if you've heard the new version of the eggs, and if you still feel the same way about them?
    Cheers,
    Jim

6. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

there are several current options that you have.

Kef eggs - good for movies - not so good for music

Use Kef Q8's at the rear - a bit bigger than kef eggs but good sound and aimed at being surround speakers (retail at £200)

Use Kef Q2DS dipole rear speakers - supposed to be better surround sound but are bigger than the Q8's and more expensive (£400).

The Q8 and Q2DS are aimed to match with the Q3 and Q9.

I have Q1's with Q95 and Q85's (previous generation) and am very happy with the sound. When I heard the eggs I was underwhelmed for music use.

Hope this helps

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    But would the eggs suffice for surround duties only? My understanding is that while it's important for the fronts to be tonally matched, it's less important for the rears (less panning).

Has anyone tried Noodle's suggestion of adding 2 eggs as rears with a Q1(or Q3) + Q9C? If so, how does it sound, and are the eggs out of place?

Balders.

8. scooter

scooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Balders,
    I am in a similar position to yourself. I originally had a 2005.1 setup but found it lacking having had a pair of Q35's previously (wife wanted something smaller when we moved house).

I have now gone back to using Q3 & Q9C which I think are a big improvement, but for the rears I am thinking of going for the Ci series 160.2QR. These are in the in wall types but the bass/mid driver unit is the same 6.5 inch as used in the Q series. Have you thought about using these (granted they a little more expensive) ?

I should mention that I was planning on using 4 of the eggs from the 2005.1 setup for rear duties (7.1 setup) but the wife said NO WAY as she had already relented on the fronts.

scooter

9. Jonny5

Jonny5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering a Kef 2005.2 package to go with my denon 2900dvd player and 2803amp, i know they are good for movies, but some people say not so good for music, sacd etc.

i have a smallish lounge, 15.5ft x 11.5ft, hence the need for a small yet clear / powerful set.

what u lot think

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If you want a small and clear sounding package then I would suggest demoing the new Monitor Audio Radius speakers.

[​IMG]

11. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use a pair of eggs (new ones) for the rears in a 7 channel sysytem of Q speakers. This was for space reasons and on the advice of Kef. They said they work fine for rear channels. I have no complaints with the sound from them in this set up. They have the same driver as the rest of the Q range so that obviously is a bonus in setting up.

Cheers

Dave