1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q3 for £199 where ?????????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by co, Jan 12, 2004.

1. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Saw these for £199 some where on the web but can't remember where

Can anybody enlighten me as to where to get these ?

Cheers,
    Co.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    superfi?

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what I've read here you'd be better off getting a set of Q1's with some stands, do a search for KEF Q1 and Q3 theres plenty of posts, or do a search for Wilber he has posted a number of times on the Q range.

One thing that has been said a lot is that with the Q3's they can be a bit boomy and not quite at the same level as the Q1's as they are the same speaker, just placed in a floorstand enclosure.

I'm going for the Q1's myself, so I might just be a bit biased! ;)

Ryan :hiya:

4. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rscott4563
    Do you think the Q1s will be OK for music without a Sub ?

Cheers,
    Co.

5. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE Q3s for £199

Balders - You the man !

Cheers

I may not now go for them but I was going nuts trying to find out where I'd seen them.

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be quite honest I couldn't really tell you, I've heard them quite a few times over the last 6 months or so but never in a proper audition with my own choice of DVD or music for any real length of time, just a few minutes at a time having a play when I've nipped in to the store.

What I have heard really impressed me, very punchy, with a lot of depth, but then again I'm comparing with what I get from my KHT2005.1 system.
    The music I've heard through them sounded great to me, as did DVD, but you can only make your own mind up by going and having a listen.

I think they will be absolutely fine for me without a sub for music duties, for movies I dont know, I think you need that floor rumbling bottom end and I don't think they will provide that so I'll still be using the old KHT2005.1 sub (possibly the next upgrade, after I get the plasma)

The main reasons for choosing the Q1's were:

Would match, sound wise, the rest of my setup, as I've got a 5.1 KEF Egg system at the minute and I'm upgrading slowly, so my L&R Eggs will eventually go to the rear to give me 7.1

They are deemed good looking enough by the boss, high WAF, at least in my case.

They sound bloody good

I haven't got the space or the money for Q7's :( maybe in a couple of years, then the Q1's can go to the sides! :)

Cheers
    Ryan

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking at the specs of the Q1's verus the Q3's on the KEF website the Q3's go down to a reported 42Hz compared to the Q1's at 45Hz, not much in it really? And with the apparent better performance alround of the Q1's I'd say they'd be the better choice.

But again, best bet is go and try them out, get a pair of Q1's and a pair of Q3's setup at your local dealers and do an A/B test of your own choice of music, from the same equipment, they should be able to do that easy enough, especially with an amp that has an A/B option on it.

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Q3? :suicide: designed by marketing people I reckon. The Uncle Nobby of the Kef Q family and now being dropped.

£200 is remarkably cheap but I still wouldn't have them over £300 spent on Q1 + stand.

Do Q1s go low enough to not need a sub with music? possibly, but it depends on what you listen to - dance / rock may suffer, Jazz and most classical - not a problem. Do they benefit from being in a setup with a sub? yes

Are Q3s less likely to need a sub than Q1s - no

9. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments Wilber, what about the Q4s without a sub ? or can you give me a shortlist to demo of speakers under £600 that would work OK without a Sub ?

B&W DM602 ? I've heard they are quite good for base
    or would I need something like the B&W DM603

I will be running them off a Arcam Diva AV200 amp - 90w in stereo
    & I have Kef eggs in another room for AV.

Thanks again,
    Co.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Haven't had the pleasure of the Q4s yet but I would expect them to go lower than the Q1s.

I'll restrict my comments to speakers I've tried rather than speculate.

B&W speakers (tried 601 s3) definitely have a better low end than the Qs, but they do not perform well when near a wall (a factor in my lounge) & they are (IMHO) butt ugly.

Monitor Audio Silver 2 (very nice standmounts and floorstanders with a good range and a finish to kill for). Came very close to being my choice & if I went through it all again might well be the ones I chose now.

Quad 11 (perhaps the best looking speakers and they sound good too but are probably over priced). Too expensive for me at the time

Something that I never auditioned but my son has are Kef Coda 90s which he picked up dead cheap a while back. they have a really good low end which suits his choice of "music" - I don't know how good they are with classical music but they could be worth a go.

11. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Demo'd the Q3's and Q1 side by side and I opted for the Q3..... admitedly for the rears. Dont think they are anywhere near as bad as everyone on here says IMHO. I gotta admit they took some working to get them to run in, prolly more than the Q5's I have.
    Not heard the Q4's but last time I spoke to hifi dealer he was saying he was pleasently surprised with them.
    Spooks