Kef Q2DS Advice for placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chang, Apr 22, 2007.

1. chang

chang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have read many threads on this but as yet, I cannot quite find one to answer my query!

I have been using Kef Q8's as rears, but they don't seem to be able to do the job that well IMO, plus they don’t match the maple Q7 fronts and Q9C. Amp is a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE. By lounge is 5 metres long and 3.4 metres wide with the listening position on a full width 'deep sofa on the rear wall, when seated, the listening position (my head!) is about 40 centimetres from the rear wall.

I have just bought a pair of Q2DS's second hand and the kef paperwork with them says put them 2 metres off the floor on side walls directly in line with the listening position.

I can do this but the rearward speaker in the cabinets will only be about 20 to 30 Centimetres from the rear wall and the front on one of them will be partially shielded by a curtain!

My other option is to put them on the back wall slightly behind the listening position - will this work? - If so how far in from side walls?
    The down side to this position, as far as I can see is that the 'inward facing' speakers in the cabinets may be facing slightly towards the listening position but well above head height!
    Ive added couple of bitmaps to show my lounge and the best I could do with speaker location,. Not ideal but the Yamaha amp copes well with timing/phasing of sound to listener and is switchable to Pure Direct to Q7's only for stereo

View attachment Q2DS BACK.bmp
    View attachment Q2DS SIDE.bmp

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gary