KEF Q100 (Tweeter without sound)

Pietz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Yesterday i bought a pair of KEF Q100, but the tweeter of one speaker is not working... Someone could help me? I didn`t open the speaker because i`m a little bit dummy about it...

Best Regards.

Pietz

Please, someone could help me? I brought these speakes by airplane, then i don't know if the tweeter is burned or something broke inside the speaker...

sorry for my bad english..

Regards.
Pietz

Hi,
I believe that the Q100 is a 2-way speaker? Does it have jumpers on the back, connecting the HF and LF terminals? Check that this jumper is secure so that signal is getting to both sides of the crossover.

That's the simplest thing you can hope that is wrong with it. If it's not that, then maybe something more serious.

For future reference, this is a UK-based forum so remember the time difference and be aware that we might all be in bed when you're looking for help - that certainly would have been the case last night between your first post and your bump! Non-UK members are of course very welcome here, but you might just have to wait a day for a response if you're posting during our night-time.

EDIT:
Actually I found out that the Q100 doesn't use a jumper like most speakers, but there's a switch to change between mono-amping and bi-amping mode. Assuming you're using the speaker in a standard configuration, you want the terminals to be linked for mono-amping. This means the switch should be turned clockwise.
I suspect that they might currently be separated for bi-amping, and that you're only using the LF terminals.

Last edited:
Hi audioenthusiast, how are you?

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately i think that the problem is not interrelated with the switch, because i turned it to mono-amping and bi-amp and the tweeter still doesn't work... Maybe i'm going to open my speaker to see if there is something loosed... Someone knows how to open this speaker? How can i see if the tweeter is "burned"? Thank you!!

Best Regards.
Pietz

Hi Pietz,
That's a shame - I thought I'd start with the simplest option first. In mono-amping mode, have you also tried using the HF terminals as input, just in case there's a problem with the bridge? If it is just the bridge, then there's an easy fix for you.

Anything else would probably mean opening up the box and having a look around.
Normally for a woofer I'd say to put a battery both before and after the crossover, and directly on the driver terminals to see if you get a click. But with a tweeter I'm not sure if the DC input would cause damage to the driver, or if you'd even be able to hear anything.
Still it's worth seeing if any joints are obviously disconnected.

Did you buy the speakers new or second-hand?

I'm afraid I don't know how to open the case, but it's usually a matter of unscrewing the woofer and removing it to see in, or maybe the panel on the back with the terminals.

Hi audioenthusiast,
I don't know if there is a problem with the bridge, I'm a layman about it, how can I see if there is a problem with the bridge? I found an image of my speaker connectors at this link: http://www.rtv-servis.net/KEF_Q_serija/KEF_Q100_2v.jpg I did the following tests: I put the cable in the first pair of connectors (down connectors) and I turned the switch to mono-amping, I listened just the midrange sound, after that I put the cable in the upper connectors and I turned the switch to bi-amping mode, the sound disappear. If I switch to mono-amping the sound appear but without the tweeter sound.
These speakers are brand new. I live in Brazil and here the speaker's price are very expensive, one local seller would sell me the Q100 speakers by U$1300,00! Then I went to Paraguay by airplane and I bought it by U$400,00 + taxes. I also have the Q300, Q200c speakers and the Q400b subwoofer, my receiver is the Marantz NR1602.
Unfortunately I'm at work and I can't see my speakers, here in Brazil is 11:35am. There are more tests to do? When I arrive home I can continue my tests, maybe I can do some movie about my tests if it is necessary.

I'm very happy about your help, here in my country the other forum members are not helping me as you.

Please, could you continue helping me? (i don't know if my english is legibly)

Thank you!
Best Regards.

Pietz

If these are new speakers, less than say 30 days old, I would return it to the dealer, and see if they will exchange for a new one.

Again there are a few critical details missing from your post, like how long you have had the speakers. If the are very new, don't mess around with them, contact the dealer and see what they are willing to do. If the are still under warranty, the contact the manufacturer directly to see what they have to say.

Most modern speakers can't be opened they way the could back in the old days. Today 'opening a speaker' means taking the bass driver out to give you access to the internals. A safe enough process unless you jamb the screwdriver through the cone.

Steve/bluewizard

Hello,

First thing....try to use the "official ways" of resolving your problem:
- Contact the seller
- Contact Kef's official seller in Brazil
- Contact Kef international if you must.

Assuming that you speak Portuguese....here's a link to the topic where i describe the fixing of my Kef IQ5 tweeters.
(after trying the official ways....this may be helpfull)

Don't rush to the solution....if they are new and the tweeter never played that's probably a factory. There even a simple possibility that some internal terminal may have unplugged them selves in the transport process.

good luck

Hi Guys,
I sent an e-mail to KEF international and they told me to do some tests, if these tests fail i shoud contact the store where i bought my speakers to replace it. Today i contacted the store and the seller told me that i do not have warranty and KEF do not provide warranty for the store and i shoud buy the tweeter to replace it by myself... Why i don't have warranty? I bought these speakers at an official KEF's seller!

I live in Brazil and i bought these speakers at a store in Paraguay, but i woud not replace these speakers in Brazil, i woud go to Paraguay and i would replace my speakers at the same store where i bought the speakers (I read the warranty terms) I think that these store works against the law...By God...

Tomorrow i am going to contact the KEF International and i am goingo to describe what is happening.... i hope they help me because i bought the speakers at a store indicate by KEF and i do not have warranty....

I heard that KEF is very friendly to customers and that its after-sales service is very good, someone confirm?

Thank you!

Best Regards
Pietz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom