KEF Q100 for a Yamaha RX-V375 the amp ?

monjon

Standard Member
Hi there
I was thinking of getting kef Q100 for a Yamaha RX-V375 the amp its European for the UK and I think it only goes up to 6 ohms but the speakers are 8 ohms so would they still work with this amp. Sorry if its a silly question but I am not very good at the technical side of these things:facepalm:
Thanks in advance for any help:)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Nominal impedance is the impedance speakers impose upon the receiver. The receiver itself is rated to be able to power speakers with an impedance of 6 to 8ohms. The receiver would have no issue powering speakers with a rated nominal impedance of 8ohms. The only thing you need to be wary of is using speakers that are rated with an impedance either below 6ohms or above 8ohms.

monjon

Standard Member
thanks vert much for the reply:thumbsup:. I was a bit concerned because looking at the manual of the amp it seemed to suggest that the European version only went up to 6 ohms and the USA version was 8. But looking at other sites with the specs of the amp it says 8 ohms:)

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you look on the rear of the receiver then you'll see information that indicates that the minimum impedance the receiver is rated for is 6ohm. The USA and the EU models have the exact same abilities in terms of the impedance that they are rated able to handle. You'd be hard pushed finding speakers that have a nominal impedance higher than 8ohms and most speakers are rated 6 to 8ohms. Some speakers are rated with an impedance below 6ohm though and your receiver could potentially overheat whilst powering such speakers. This in itself is more an inconvience than a fatality because the receiver's own protection circuitry would cut in and put it into standby if the operational temperature exceeded the receiver's operational range.

Any and all AV receivers will power speakers with a nominal impedance within the range 6 to 8ohms without issue.

Last edited:

monjon

Standard Member
Hi
thanks for that info:thumbsup:. I have ordered the kef Q100 so by the sounds of it all should be OK. The other speakers that are on the rest of the channels are 8-4 Ohms. So I am guessing that having a mixture of different speakers will be OK to use, especially as the other speakers use 8 Ohms. I guess what I am trying to say is that if the speakers had different Ohms on the speakers for the different channels would the amp be able to cope with it, does the different specs of the speakers on the same amp make any difference?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yamaha don't give a cumulative figure for the impedance rating, but as I said the receiver shouldn't technically be use with speakers who's impedance is below 6ohms even if they are also used in conjunction with those that are above that minimum. But even if you do use speakers rated as being 4ohm then I don't see it as being a major issue, not unless you've a large room and intend playing audio at high volume levels? The various speakers can have different impedances though and do not all have to have the same imprdance.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom