1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q1 or B&W 601 S3 for Rotel RA-01?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cosmos56, May 14, 2003.

1. cosmos56

cosmos56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm going to buy a Rotel RA-01 integrated amp, and I'm wondering which of these spearkers, Kef Q1 or B&W 601 S3, are a better option for the amp, in terms os bass, tremble, dynamics......

Could you help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Simple answer is demo both and let your ears tell you which you prefer. I have my Rotel amp paired with Kefs but If my room had been larger I may have gone for the B&Ws or Monitor Audio Silver

3. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a classic Sevenoaks combination!

I'm sure you could get into technical details about each speaker (covered quite a bit before on the board), but they're probably on a par with each other, and the amp should drive them both. Therefore it really comes down to what sound you prefer.

I demod them against each other (as well as the monitor audio s1). Although the Q1 seemed to have a better balanced sound than the 601, it just didn't work for me and I prefered the warmer sound of the B&Ws.

Enjoy!
    Mark

4. cosmos56

cosmos56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

I heard the Kef Q1 with a Marant 4200 amp, and although they sounded good, I felt they had not got enough bass (maybe it was de amp).

I don't know if the Rotel RA-01 has enough power to drive B&W 601 S3 (88 db).

Music I like : Soul (Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder,....), Vocal Jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washintong,...), and R&B

Thank you very much.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I had exactly the same dilemma, of which speaker to pair up between with the Rotel RA-01.

First off, I will dismiss the first myth that the RA-01 does not have enough power to drive a B&W speaker. Simply not true, the RA-01 drives the B&W's up to very loud volumes. Remember, its 40 watt rating is understated (more like 60) and it has excellent current delivery and a very high quality, stable power supply.

I will echo what these other dudes say that the speakers are more or less on a par with one another. If your restricted with space, then the KEF might be a better choice, but the 601 is probably not as restrictive about its placement as the 602 is.

When I demoed the KEF's and B&W's, I also threw the Mission M51's and Quad 11L's into the mix. I would have been happy with all of the speakers, bar the Quads (which to my ears, sounded worse than the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's these speakers were to replace). In the end I chose the Mission.

I would seriously advise throwing in the Monitor Audio Silver S1 against these speakers.

They are all good speakers though.

6. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with Paul on all counts.

The Rotel will do the job, including the 601s bigger sibling the 602s - if you really want mucho bass.

Although the B&Ws are probably more my kind of sound and will probably suit your taste in music, I ended up buying the silver s1s, which had more clarity and balance than either the Q1 or the 601.

7. cosmos56

cosmos56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which set is better for clarity and balance, Kef Q1 or B&W 601?

Thank you.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    cosmos ... really they are different not one better than the other.

You really NEED to listen to them before buying. That shouldn't be a problem as you are going to have to buy either of them from a dealer with preper facilities.

Vikki

9. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Heres my rundown of all the speakers I've tried with the Rotel RA-01.....

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2: Fast but not deep bass, boxy sounding, treble both laid back, and somewhat unrefined at the same time, very "shouty" at higher volumes.

KEF Q1: Not boxy in the slightest. Very neutral, average levels of detail, smooth sounding, slightly plodding bass, not one for high energy music. Seems to add or subtract little to the music, very good imaging.

B&W 602 S3: Very forward treble, sometimes grainy sounding, very detailed, likes high volumes, very loud, slightly loose sounding bass, goes deep though. A very good, convincing rock and roll speaker.

Mission M51: Forward sounding treble, not quite as much so as B&W. Smoother sounding however, very taut and fast bass with good drive, not the deepest extending speaker, but surprising for its size, sounds bigger and bolder than it is. Thoroughly musical and almost completely transparent.

Quad 11L: Very laid back treble, not as big and bold as the Wharfedale Diamond, suffers no boxiness though. Very small speaker, and it sounds it, struggles with hard hitting bass lines, bass too weak and too slow in comparison to the other speakers here. Very refined, does subtlety well. Very much a pipe and slippers speaker.

HTH's