1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q1 as a Centre - Ok or Not ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GForce, Jan 5, 2004.

1. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Hope you can help ....

Im setting up a first time AV system ( after years of drooling ! )..

The Wife Friendly Kef Q Series are top of the bill - Q3's have disappeared and the rrp on Q4's is too rich for me.

So if i buy 6 Q1's ( I cant find a dealer willing to sell me 5 ! ) would the remaining Q1 make a good centre ? ( 6.1 system Yam 640 amp )

In theroy it would be a grown up Kef Egg type system with the same speaker all round - but will i be loosing anything by using a Q1 as a centre ?

Also looking at Monitor Audio B2's and Acoustic Enery Aegis Evo packs. ( I think the AE will dominate my room and annoy the neighbours - will have to sit nearish to the wall ) Any comments on these compared to the Kef Q1's ?

Kind Regards

G

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Go for it! The Q1 makes a great centre and is better than the speakers in the other 2 sets you mention. The Q1 does have a curved cabinet tho' , so you should probably place it upright on a stand, just like the 2 fronts.

3. KTF

KTF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that most centre speakers have less dynamic range than a normal bookshelf speaker (and cost more) so I went for a normal bookshelf speaker instead and it sounds OK to me.

One thing to check is that it is sheilded - which I expect it is - if you are planning to sit it on top of the TV.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Kef's Q9c has the same uni-q driver as the Q1 and is a very good match for the Q1. So if you can incorporate the Q1 into your setup as a centre unit then it should be fine.

I went for the Q9C purely on aesthetic grounds - I wanted the centre speker under the tv & the Q1 looked silly on its side (IIRC Kef tell you in the manual that it's designed to work this way).

BTW the Q3 is not a patch on the Q1 with a decent stand. Also don't rule out the Q compacts - they make great surrounds and whilst I wouldn't replace my Q1s with them, I would certainly consider them for small rooms as main speakers.

5. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool Cheers Sounds like 3 sets of Q1's then - All on Stands ;-)

Im also going to run it WITHOUT a Sub - My lounge backs onto my neighbours lounge so i think it will just cause agro. Will the Q1's be able to provide enough "ump" - i dont wanna shake the house - but sont want it to sound weird either !

Musical ability is more important to me than action movies.

Regards

G

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    No trouble with "Oomph" IMO. Obviously you will miss out on some of the lowest frequency rumbles as the Q1's don't go down as low as a good sub, but I don't use a sub (same issue with neighbours as you have) and my Missions still shake the sofa! :cool:

As music is you first love ( :smashin: ) you're MUCH better off good bookshelf speakers than a sub/sat setup like the Eggs. Having 6 matching speakers all-round also gives the best tonal matching - esp. useful with DVD-A and SACD tracks too. :)