1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef q

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by citrac, Sep 7, 2005.

1. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a home cinema set kef q4 kef q6c kef q compact.
    Can any owners of especially the q4 fronts advise of their opinion on sound quality. Reviews have been mixed in the mags i think

thanks

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    i've got them and I can't complain...tho, you maybe better off buying the q9c for your center, especially if your room isn't that small...

the clarity and soundstage is great...

what else have you got..? - amp wise etc...

3. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing else really. I think I will use for a short time my oldish pioneer 525 dvd.
    and buy a pioneer 775? or denon 1609
    I auditioned the B&W sub/sat today and I thought it sounded wonderful. this has thrown me a bit. I now cant recal how good the kefs sounded. The guy who set it all up (the kefs) in sevenoaks made a few errors in respect of whether the sub woofer was on or not.

The B&W audition was well set up so comarison difficult.

I,m confused now but fed up with no music in my new back room

4. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    got the same kefs and again no complaints...dont know how the q9c compares with the 6c but with the series now being replaced and good deals to be had i dont think an upgrade to the 9c is going to break the bank :thumbsup:

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There's a new iQ series, and it seems is very good...

Or the Q series with great discounts...

6. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Citrac, I have been a KEF user for about 20 years and I have always been very happy with build and material quality, the Q series lends itself to upgrading, as can be seen from my current mixed bag of Qs. The thing that sets them apart for me is the fact that they are very easy to set up and get the very best from, by this I mean that they are not too fussy about placement. Their imaging ability is legend and they handle their rated power without complaint. I have heard better speakers than my KEFs but they cost a lot more to buy and feed power to. Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask. :smashin:

7. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,
    I too have been using Kef for years, and very happy i am with them too. I've just been forced to change my fronts from Q5's to iQ9's, due to an accident involving my wife and daughter, and was initially concerned they wouldn't integrate with the rest of my system, how wrong I was, there fantastic, :D only now I think I need to upgrade my centre to iQ6c as my Q9c seems a little drowned out :( so consiquently? there may soon be a Q9c in dark apple for sale.

Regards,

Dishdoc

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    By and large a life-time Kef enthusiast also.

9. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Another Kef fan here

10. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much to all so far. I am arranging another audition of the Kefs and the b&W set, from which I hope to make a decision.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have the Kef Q4’s as fronts in my system and I think they’re great. They’ve got great stereo imaging (if you enjoy listening to cd’s) and a superb midrange. My only criticism would be that the speakers are a bit light on bass. But if you plan to use a subwoofer in your system anyway, then this shouldn’t be a concern.

I initially used a Kef Q6c as the center speaker, but quickly found out that it was not loud enough given that I have quite a large room. Often, I couldn’t hear dialogue in movies clearly enough (even if I raised the db on the center channel!) Anyway, I upgraded to the Q9c and have never looked back. It integrates superbly with the fronts and all speech is clearly heard – it made a massive difference to my movie viewing.

I use Q-compacts for the rears and as you would expect have had no problems. I use Kef’s PSW-2500 sub with the speakers. A great sub, especially when setup correctly.

Just to let you know, I use a Yamaha 750SE amp to drive the speakers and they seem a good match. However, I do wonder whether matching them with a Pioneer amp may improve things. The Kef speakers are quite warm-ish speakers and so is the Yamaha amp, I wonder whether Pioneer’s ‘bright’ amps could be a better match. Any users out there with a Kef Q series/Pioneer amp combo?

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I prefer standmount speaker like the the Q1 with a greater (165mm) woofer that gives a better midrange.

Then the subs gives you the rest and you can customize it to your room...

13. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided eventually to buy the Kef Q5’s, which sound fantastic to me. The increased size affords more bass, so I have saved the cost of a sub woofer, at least for now. Mid range marvellous, as many have commented. If I really feel the need for bone shaking during movies I will buy one eventually when funds allow. I have bought the Q9C centre, but not set it up yet. It sounded great in the shop, although perhaps a slight worry that whereas the Q6C struggled a wee bit relative to the Q4, the same might apply with the Q9C relative to the Q5.

Q compacts for the rears, again not set up yet, might be some time before I get round to it.

I am using a fairly modest Sherwood receiver I have had for a few years, until funds allow something else, and it sounds good. I auditioned it relative to a friends Arcam stereo amp last night and although the Arcam was better, to my ears there wasn't an awful lot in it.

Agian, many thanks to all who replied, it was a great help.

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Do consider a sub though, I still think it would make a significant difference to the home cinema experience!

15. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    definetly....i managed without one for a while ,just relying on my Q4s for the low end side of things until i got meself a psw3000 for 300 notes.
    i know everyone bangs on about the difference a sub makes .....believe them they're right!

16. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I hated all kind of subs until I heard GOOD subs like REL or MJ Acoustics... with music! :smashin:

Then I would prefer a pair of Q1 + a GOOD and MUSICAL sub to pair of Q4 or even Q5...

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I use the PSW2500, and whilst not the best in the world it suits my room well. Plus it is very Wife-friendly (especially in dark apple!) :thumbsup:

18. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    i agree..wife nearly keeled over when she saw the size of the box for my psw 3000,nice dark apple,gloss black top...bung a big plant on top,bingo,never got mention again. :)

19. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the Q4 and Q6c, However sometimes i find the centre channel lacking in dialogue. I am new to AV so it may have been the set up as since i calibrated it it does sound better, but on some disks the dialogue is quite low and i have the crank the centre up

20. Martos

Martos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have been running Kef Speakers for the best part of 10 years, with no complaints.

I currently use the Q5's with the Q9c with a Pioneer VSX-D2011 Amp, and they compliment each other beautifully when set up correctly. I use a REL 50 Sub with combo.

I am considering upgrading my Rears to the Q8DS at some point, anyone had any experience of them?

21. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    i'm running Q4 fronts with a XQ2C Center. I'm more than happy with the sound from them both for music and films. Coupled with a SVS 20-39PC+ to help out the slightly lacking lower end they sound awsome, especially vocals.

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I had exactly the same issue. No amount of tweaking and calibrating solved the problem. In the end I went for a Q9c with my Q4's and have never looked back! :thumbsup:

23. Oi Oi Savaloy

Oi Oi Savaloy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got the Q4's,Q compacts and a Q6c,i also have a PSW4000 sub..I too think the Q6c struggles a little and will soon be swapped for a Q10c...............Alan:)

24. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I eventually bought the kef Q5, Q9C and Q compacts for the rears. I thought perhaps the Q9C would be swamped a bit by the Q5s in the same way as others have commented on the Q6C being swamped by the Q4s. I thought in the shop when I was auditioning this was perhaps the case but went ahead anyway, assuming set up would help. So far I only have the Q5s and Q9C wired up and it sounds marvellous to me, with good clear dailogue etc well balanced from the centre with the q5s. Not done much testing yet though. Apollo 13 only. Will be a while before I can get the rears set up.

My room has an offset slope across the ceiling being straight for about 2/3 of the width then sloped down. This seems to be causing an incredible amount of bias toward the channel on the down side (i.e the left) such that I have to offset the right channel by quite a bit to equalise. I mention this just because it surprises me how pronounced it is. Any thoughts etc?

25. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find this sub ? I'm looking for a new one and this is one I'm considering

26. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Did you consider a REL / MJ acoustics or even a BF XL200 DF?