1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF 'Q' speakers..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Merritt, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently went and had a listen to the Q range speakers and was quite impressed.... Am now thinking about forking out some cash so just thought I would see what people generally think about them. I cant find many references to them in the archives so whats the feeling please guys..... Also, anyone know where I can get them cheap? (or cheaper than normal anyways!)

BTW - they were all powered from the new AVR3803 which seemed to do a very nice job.

Cheers

Steve

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the older gen Q series, very good speakers, although build quality isn't amazing.

However works well for music and movies. Better sounding than B&W IMO.

[edit] Oh if you're getting the full 5 speakers, compare the Kef Q9c to the Model 100. I've got access to the Kef Q95c, so don't know if the new one is sorted, but the Q95c doesn't sound that great- good midrange, but a bit coloured and harsh at louder volumes. The Model 100 sounds alot better.

3. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the Q5's as my main speakers and the Q9c for center, the sound is very good loads of bass, may be a little too bass heavy for listening to music, I tend to keep the bungs in mine. I haven't got a sub and I don't know weather to bother with one or not. I have my old pair of Mission Cyrus 780's as my rears.

there is a review of the Q5's along with a few others in this months what HiFi

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have Q1s for my main pair + a Q9c centre & I think they're lurvley.

The Q1s don't produce anything like the weight of bass that their big brothers do - mounted on Partington stands they look great and really sound the business. They're easy to drive as well so a 3803 isn't required to get them sounding their best.

The 9c was a no brainer having decided on the Q1s & I'm really happy with it - The Uni Q claims stand up in this case - I can place the centre beneath the TV without any problems.

I was underwhealmed by the 8s (only available in grey) so I'm looking to add two more Q1s for my rears.

I will be adding a Sub to this setup in the next few days - as I said the 1s don't produce huge amounts of bass.

5. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you mean about the Q8s but surely Q1s as rears will be too overkill? Have you considered the Q2ds Dipoles?

I certainly agree with the Q1s tho - they are luvvvvvurly ;) The reason im looking at the Q3s is because they were an improvement of the low down and punchy bass whilst maintaining the sweetness and 'twiddly bits' at the top... Also, by the time ive added some proper speaker stands, I may as well have bought the floor standers :rolleyes:

Steve

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I didn't "like" the Q3s as much as the Q1s - I felt the floorstanding version really was just a bigger sound box & it just became a tad boomy. On a nice pair of stands the 1s had the edge.

I did consider the 2ds but they're a bit hefty for my liking. I wouldn't think Q1s all round would be overkill - Kef's home cinema offering they sent for review a while ago was a pair of 3s a 9c & a pair of 1s

7. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Superfi had the Q's on sale a while back. I think 1's were about £207. I seem to remember a forum member paying similar money after a bit of haggling

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Superfi wouldn't send out Q's mail order - Kef are very picky about this - you should be able to haggle though, I got the Q1s & Q9c + 9m of QED silver for £470 - about £65 below retail (7oaks)

9. MrPumpkinHead

MrPumpkinHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed quite a few speakers for the 3802 last year, including: Mission M51; B&W DM601 and 602 S3; Monitor Audio Silver 1 and 2; Kef Q1

The Q1’s were the best choice for me, used mainly for music in a fairly small room.

I recently added a Q9C, £209 from Superfi, I think they currently have the Q1’s cheaper as well.

10. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased three pairs of Q1's to use with my Denon 2802. They do not have any bass. So I complemented them with a SVS 20-39 PC+, crossed-over at 80 hz. I am now very happy with my system.

I have been using them for 9 months so far and I have nothing but praise for the Q1's, provided they get a decent subwoofer.

Wonderful speakers that look cool and are easy to place.

11. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of all the speakers I have heard, KEF seem to be the most neutral. So if you like extra bass or treble, or a "smoothed out" sound, forget them. If you want to hear what the musician/movie maker intended, go for it.

Hyperfi (http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/) have some amazing deals on the previous gen of Qs, e.g. top of the range (£1k) Q75 for 299 and similar reductions on Q65, Q55 and Q35. (Don't know whether they have any in stock ...)

I have Q35, Q95C and 60S. The Q35 are a great improvement over my previous K120 (stand mounted). Only worth getting a sub-woofer if you shell out for genuinely low frequency as the Q35 are rated down to 40Hz, the Q55-75 go down to around 30Hz.

12. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bought a set of Q1's for £200 and a Q9c for £200 including P&P by mail order from Superfi a few months ago, and a set of Q2ds's for £350 Inc P&P just a couple of months ago,Kef stuff by mail order from them was never a problem for me.

13. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Morning,

I auditioned many floorstanding models including Monitor Audio S8/8i, Warfedale Evo 30, Quad 21L, B&W CM4, Kef Q5/Q7. I listened to a diverse range of music with the speakers at home and found the Kef Q7 to be amazing in my system (Arcam CD23T, Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre/power).

I was moving from B&W CDM 1NT which were also excellent but only with well recorded music. As I place music enjoyment above analysis, I auditioned the above to find a replacement. The Q7 have a 3-way crossover which is more effective at controlling unruly bass. The Q5's were a tad boomy.

IMO the Q7's are the best of those I auditioned with my system and in our room.

Hope that helps

Darren

14. Dr Cheese

Dr Cheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently invested in 3 pairs of Q1's to partner my 3802 and glorious velodyne CHT-10.

I'm no expert, but these are fine speakers. I had a listen to a bunch of Missions and some B&W speakers, but totally fell in love with the Kefs. Bass (imho) is decent for bookshelf speakers, but they sound best when augmented by a decent sub.

Couldn't be happier - all through advice from these forums too, so cheers guys n gals.

:D

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the input guys - much appreciated. Im getting to the point now where I think im prolly going to go for the following setup :

KEF Q3 (L&R front)
    KEF Model 100 center channel
    KEF TDM 34 (L&R surround)

and either the Denon 3803 amp or the A11SR budget permitting. Sub wise haven't decided yet.

The Q1s were very impressive, the Q5's sounded too 'boomy' IMHO but since this system will be a 50/50 home cinema and normal 'stereo' music setup I wanted a little better bottom end from the fronts (I will still use a sub)

Any thoughts guys?

Cheers

Steve

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Them surrounds are 4 Ohm loads, will the amp take it?

I have a pair of Q75's, they arn't as boomy as the Q55's, but both work better in larger rooms (for music)

For AV I don't think it matters- and anyway you could set to small if they are a bit boomy (might help)

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I currently run Q1s L&R, Q9 ctr and Q8s rear.

I have said myself about the centre being a different size than the L&R and how, in an ideal world, the front 3 speakers should all be the same make and size/shape

I wish I had read Erics post from April 02 as I would have wangled a way of using 3 Q1s but I didn't and am reasonable happy with the front soundstage. Keeps the GF happy as the Ctr is hidden (See my site)

I will eventually replace the Q9 with a Q1 and I am sure the retailer I bought them from had sold individual speakers inthe past (ie Split up a pair of speakers) and the Q8s with a pair of Q1s

When buying the Kefs I listened to the new Warfdales (Similar cabinet shape to Kef), Monotor Audio Bronze and B&Ws and much prefere the sound of the Kefs. Can't explain why but to me they deliverd a clean but rich sound and looked in keeping with the rest of my decor.

I have listened, side by side to the Q1 vs Q3 and for HC cant see the point of spending the extra on the Q3s. On their own, without a sub, they were very similar in the bass dept but I found the Q1s cleaner.

Hope this helps

19. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Careful Steve, that spells tonal mismatch to me, with the Q3s having a metal tweeter and the Model 100 having soft dome - I'd either go for Q9C or old Reference or Monitor range for the front pair.

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might not tonally match but it will sound better.

I would prefer a non-matching but excellent speaker instead of a matching but naff speaker.

Although ideally a matching & excellent sounding centre would be nice. If it was that simple!:rolleyes:

[edit]

I would not use a AV amp for 4 Ohm speakers.

21. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually petrolhead, I know what you mean... Its just that when I had a listen to them side by side, the Q3s provided a 'tighter' response for frequencies just outside sub-range but just too low for the Q1s (but only on some tracks/cds) if I was using them for home cinema only - they would be spot on. Also I kinda resent paying £150 for decent speaker stands when the wooden effect Q3 box will match my furniture pretty well! (keep the Mrs happy!)

Daninthemix - I understand your point but ive been taking a lot of advice from people who seem to think that the Q9c isn't really that good... problem is that I can't get the pair side by side to have a listen... hmmmm :confused:

Thanks for pointing it out but hopefully its under control. I am told (by Denon) that the 3803 or the A11SR will cope nicely with a 4ohm load especially on the surround channels as they are not full bandwidth? Thoughts??

Cheers guys, keep em coming!

Steve

22. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hello there - after similar agonising I went for 2 pairs of Q1s (front & rear) and the Q9c, which sounded very good to my amateur ears at the demo..when I set them up at home I loved the Q1s but felt a little disappointed with the Q9c..just seemed to be a little lost in the clarity stakes and generally just not quite cutting it..but 6 months later (& I could just be getting used to it) I'm finding it much clearer and an open sound that hangs in the air rather than obviously coming from the speaker which seems to be one of the highlights of the Kef speakers is noticable..all in all I'm very pleased with the set up for both movies & music (inc DVDA) which is growing on me..good luck with your purchase just remember that they probably wont fulfill there true potential till you give them a good going for a while...

All the best

Berth:)

23. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ooops - repost by accident... removed intentionally by me :)

24. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4 Ohm centre, 4 Ohm surrounds and 6 Ohm main spkrs - no problems with Denon 2802 or previous Yamaha DSP E492 (altho' mains driven from Arcam Alpha 3 amp).

25. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Quality speaker stands don't cost £150!!!! Partingyon Focus = £60 and work beautifully with Q1s. IMHO Q3s are a poor compromise (the dealer who sold me the Q1s was adamant on this point and I have to agree)

Q9c is a brilliant speaker - there's some real tosh floating around here

I would not consider mixing speakers the way you are if I was starting form scratch. 4 x Q1 (or 6) + Q9c (not if you go 6 Q1) is a fantastic setup - IMHO dipoles are overated (& if thats what you want go for the tonally match Q2)

26. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wilber - have you heard them both side by side? Can I ask in what way you think they are a 'compromise'?? As for the Q9C - you're the first person Ive heard say that they are brilliant.. Most people seem to think that a single Q1 does a better job than the Q9C (I tend to agree) let alone one of the reference centres?

Well - I did ask :D Ho hum....

27. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I also had to keep 'ehr in doors' happy and only paid £60 for the Attacam Nexus 5s see here for a pic

28. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yes I did hear them side by side - to me Q3s sound dull & boomy - the floorstanding box being the compromise.

Far be it for me to contradict what notable scribes have to say on the subjest but a Q9c is a good solution for a centre speaker - unlike many it's arrangement is the same as the main pair, the only variation being the case.

Having lived with one for some time I can't fault it - I understand the argument for having a Q1 for a centre but stylistically this wouldn't work for me - the 9c is a perfect solution. I would also dispute that "most" people thinking a Q1 to be the best solution.

I have these speakers in my living room and I'm very happy with them - that's what I base my recommendation on not theoretical niceties. I like them so much that I'm about to order a second pair of Q1s to act as rears.

29. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here, here. To which I would add that I am very happy with my Q35 and Q95C setup that some so vociferously disparage; maybe my "problem" compared with the critics of these fine speakers is that I quite like NOT having the speaker colour the music in any way!!!

30. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys...

Wilber - sorry, I wasn't having a go (tired last night maybe :boring: ) but I am honestly interested in peoples opinions... I know that there is a lot of 'theories' bouncing around but I for one don't care about any of it unless it sounds good to me so I think we're on the same wavelength. The reason I questioned it was because so many people have said that the Q9C isn't that good in comparison to the Q1 but as so often is the case things sound very different in the demo room so I haven't been able to make up my own mind yet!

BTW - I agree that I was probably a little strong with the word "most" ;)

Cheers