1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q speakers and denon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iabbott, Oct 24, 2001.

1. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting some Kef Q35.2, Q95 &Q85 speakers. Do you think a denon (AVR1802)reciever would be too soft, or should I go for something like a yamaha rxv620rds?
    Any thoughts on this package for general use (AV & music)? Thanks :)

2. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you will have seen from earlier posts, the KEF Q.2 series is being replaced with newer models. So if you are going for this package you should be able to talk yourself into a decent discount.

I have the same speaker set up as this and am really happy with it. I found it a bit bass light and added an REL subwoofer which makes a huge difference.

Also, I chose the q85s as I needed to wall mount the speakers on the back wall due to space restrictions. If possible, a set of Q15.2 at the rear might be preferable.

I drive the speakers with the Arcam AVR100, but given the choice of the denon or the yammy I'd probably go with the denon (for musical ability). Get your dealer to give you a demo of both and see what sounds best to you.

Regards
    Calum

3. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Due to a smallish room (3.5m x 4.5m) and a sofa against the back wall, the Q15s are going to be too big. I'm also considering the Mission M7DS as rears, if the Q85s don't spread the sound wide enough. Also, as the room is small I probably don't need a sub right now - might add it later though. Hoping to have some demos in a couple of weeks

4. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had q15's as rears (with 55's up front.
    These were at the side on stands.
    my sofa was against the back wall and i changed to m7ds's
    No contest i was hearing stuff i never heard with the 15's also anyone sat next to you on the sofa doesnt block the sound.
    The q85's are a speaker im looking at if i goto 6.7/7.1 due to lack of space they would be mounted to the side of my seating place.
    P.S
    there is no such thing as a room too small for a sub.
    Not needing a sub under whatever circumstances is a myth spread about by muppets like WHAT HIFI.
    Anyone familiar with the term "these speakers provide enough bass so you dont need a sub?
    A sub IS always needed but it is something that can be bought later when a decent one can be afforded.
    Once you have one a realise the diference it makes all will become clear
    ;) ;)
    just my 2 pennys worth

Mark

[ 24-10-2001: Message edited by: riddler ]

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV without sub stinks... :mad:

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I had q15's as rears (with 55's up front.
    These were at the side on stands.
    my sofa was against the back wall and i changed to m7ds's
    No contest i was hearing stuff i never heard with the 15's

This is very interesting to me as I have q55 fronts and q95c center with q15 rears.

I'm looking for replacements for the q15s as they just don't cut it as a surround speaker as although the detail is good they don't really help to create a 3D soundstage.

I'll have a look at the Missions as a replacement, are there any other Makes/Models I should also consider?

Mark.

7. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission are the people who make a BI pole that has a very flat angle. Which is required when your sofa is up against the wall like mine.
    All the other speakers ive seen are dipoles or have an angle suited to side wall mounted.
    The m7ds cost about £140 ish if you shop around (hifibitz for instance).
    I noticed a dramatic diference when i put them up.Even my girlfriend comment on hear surround material she had not hear before.

Cant recommend them enough.
    Also the sound stage is alot wider so people in the "cheap seats" get some benefit too.

:p

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

The 15s are a great speaker BUT

1. They need a bit of space, no surprize that Bipoles were prefered in a situation where space was tight.

2. Despite their high sensitivity they are a bugger to drive properly. I originally bought them for low powered valve amps. NO NO NO. The impedence swings make them a difficult load. Basic Denon / Arcam receivers aren't man enough. These speakers need serious ompf, dedicated amp or Denon A1 receivers only please. When driven correctly they are a joy but on the end of ordinary receivers they are a pig.

9. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The q15's sounded fantastic AS do my Q55's (which i cant see myself parting with for quite some time).
    Its just the postioning required meant they couldnt give their best.

Well if the q range is difficult to drive considering how my q55's sound now with my sony 940 i can only imagine how they will sound with a rotel 1075 driving them.
    Much of an improvement do you think. ???
    :eek:

10. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments guys. One dealer thought that the Q85s with their uni-Q driver would be fine (they will be about 20-30 cm behind my head), and that they would fit with the other KEF products better than the missions. What do people think of the sound spread with the Q85s?