Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Kef Q Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by betamac, Dec 4, 2004.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am 90% decided now on The Kef Q Series for my upgrade

Changed it about 8 times so far but pretty happy with the Kefs

Q7 fronts
    Q1 Rears
    PSW2500 Subwoofer

The 2 questions i have is whether the PSW2500 is going to be good enough or will i need the 4000

And Secondly where can i buy them? its very hard to find an online store selling them and theres NO-ONE atall any where near me where i can go in and buy i got a great price from Hi Spek but they dont sell over phone and i cannot get to there showroom

Thanks

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I'm thinking of the Kef Q series too, I'm thinking of the following setup:

Fronts: Kef Q4
    Centre: Kef Q6c
    Rears: Kef Q-compact
    Sub: Kef PSW 2500

Like you, Hi Spek are offering a good deal - all of the above for £810. I'm going to try to go for a demo at their Brentwood store - I was going to go today but the wife's fallen ill - I'll have to wait till next Saturday now :(

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Wish i could get to demo them but theres no chance of that i have to take the gamble they did get 5 Stars in whathifi though and i been reading very good reports over last few days,

Just need to find someone to buy from

4. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I bought the Q7 package from Hi-Spek about 3 months ago and they were very helpful. Beware though, when I went to the Brentwood Store they could not give me a demo and I had to go to their St Albarns store so make sure you call and check before making a journey.
    For home cinema they are fab but for music I have to say they took me a bit of getting used to as they seemed very light on the treble compared to my last speakers (TDL). I would strongly recommend you have a good demo before you buy.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh neaest hi spek store is 150 miles from me and in fact a store of any kind to demo is nearly 100 miles and i have no transport which is why i need someone to deliver.

95% of my listening is home cinema so not too bothered about music and they also look superb so will look great in my living room so i think there be a good choice,

I narrowed it down to the kefs or the B&W 600 Series 3 speakers but the kefs come in a little cheaper

6. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I will have a Kef Q6c for sale shortly if anyone is interested.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Wife ended up feeling a bit better so we took the trip to Brentwood. They didn't have the exact package to demo, they had the Kef Q5's, Kef Q9c and Kef Q1's.

The wife was impressed by the way they looked, especially in Dark Apple, so we wentfor them (Q4's, Q6c, Q-compacts and PSW 2500 sub). It all gets delivered on Friday :D

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spek wont take my order over the phone for delivery

pisses me off as i am gona have to end up changing my speaker choice bcause no one will take a order over phone/online for delivery

whats the difference with ordering in person for delivery and ordering over the phone? i dont get it

9. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi guys,

Check out my signature - I have Q7 fronts, Q9c centre, Q2ds rear side, Q1 rear back and psw2500 sub - and I love them, they look great in dark apple,and they sound awesome too :smashin: (to me, anyway!!).Get a dem ,if you can, you won't be dissapointed.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Cheers dishdoc - have you got them bi-wired, not sure if I should bother?

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    This is not Hi Spek's fault, Kef do not allow distance selling, it's part of their dealer contracts. Hi Spek' hands are tied.

It is annoying but Kef feel as if it's part of their quality control. It also protects the 'little' shops from going under by giants who can use scale to mass purchase and get bigger discounts.

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh i did think it was summit like that

its a shame as i am gona have to go for something else after spending 3 days coming to the KEF conclusion, Hi Spek is over 150 Miles from where i live and i dont drive and would not want to go that far just to make a 5 minute order anyway.

Audio T was going to match Hi spek price but there nearest store is nearly 200 miles from me :(

13. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Have you tried Hifi 4 Less and your "local" Sevenoaks?

14. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd the Q5's vs B&W 603 S3's vs Mission V63's, but only as stereo pairs. To my ears I much preferred the Q5's and 603's and I am currently deciding which way to go.

Out of interest did you compare the Q5's vs Q7's. If so was there a vast difference between the two. I know there is going from Q4's to 5's, but I couldn't get a dem of the 7's at the time.

Cheers,

Jubbly

15. Oi Oi Savaloy

Oi Oi Savaloy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got Q4's Q6c Q compacts and a PSW4000,I went for the bigger sub so not to be dissapointed..........Alan.........

16. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no demo'ed any i am buying blind so to speak but i am upgrading from mission m72 and M71's so i think whatever i get from the kefs or B&W's will be massive improvement

I purely chose Q7 over Q5 as the Q7's are selling for 599 which is what i was willing to spend on the Q5 as that was its list price

17. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Betamc, I was aiming that question at rus123.

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    np :) i wouldn't mind knowing myself as there £160 cheaper than the Q7 speakers

19. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    No Jubbly I only demo'ed the Q7. More for the reason that I was looking at them based on the reviews for the package which is based around them. To do the Q7 justice you need a big room so depending on where you plan to put them a Q5 may suit you better. I have also found that the sound match to the centre speaker Q9c is not perfect. You tend to notice this more on surround music than films. I imagine that with one of the smaller floor standers in the range, this difference is not so pronounced.

20. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    russ123,

Our room is 18ft by 12ft.

Intersting point. I'm actaully upgrading the whole of my existing 5.1 set-up (including sub) and, though I was thinking of going with the Q9c if I go with the KEFs, I was led to believe that the Q6c would be the one to go with for the Q5's. From what you say perhaps I'm right to go with the 9c afterall.

Thanks for this info.

Regards

Jubbly

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi our room is 14ft By 11ft

Do you think its worth going for the Q7 with that size room or should i save £160 and go with Q5?

22. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Betamac I am no expert but I would say that for that room size the Q7 will be overwhelming and you are best off saving some money.
    I bought mine to go in a room that is slightly bigger than yours Jubbly but the room does have high ceilings and an interconnecting room with sliding doors that I plan to leave open. At present they are in a room 26 by 11.
    Both the Q7 and Q5 look to have the same mid and tweeter as the Q9 (16.5cm mid) and I assume it is the additional bass from the low frequency driver that causes the slight sound difference. Hence the larger driver in the Q7 means the difference is slightly more pronounced than a Q5.
    The Q6 has a 13cm driver which matches the Q4, so I'd say use the 9c with 7 and 5's and the 6c with the 4.

23. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    what colour..? and what kind of condition etc..??
    do you have any pictures..??

I'm after the dark apple... :)
    check my signature.... :thumbsup:

24. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this sounds like abit of a noob questions but what if any advantages are there to a 3 way speaker over a 2.5 (as in KEF Q5 And Q4)

25. greg_SA

greg_SA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I am going to go for a KEF Q-series system too...
    I have chosen the KEF Q5s and Q9c, but I'd like to go for the Qcompacts for the rears, instead of the Q1s. The Q1s are just too big to mount on my back wall.

Do you think it will sound okay, as they have the smaller drivers? Or maybe I should consider the Q2ds... Can the Q2ds be mounted flat on the rear wall? Anyone have experience with the Q2ds?

Cheers
    Greg

26. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Greg, I have the Q2DS. They are not what I would call a subtle speaker :laugh: . They may not be as deep as a Q1 but they are twice the width (44cm). The manual advises you mount them 6ft from the ground and to the sides. You also need to ensure they are not too close to a side wall as they fire to both sides. Not sure how wide your back wall is but that probably makes it difficult. The What Hifi award did have two sets of them in a 7.1 configuration. Just can't imagine many people have a room which can take them.

One of the main reasons I had for upgrading is that I had a mismatch of speaker makes and could definitely notice differences when listening to surround music. Switching to KEF's all round has definitely improved that, just not completely elliminated it. My conclusion is that short of having five identical speakers in an empty room, you can't!

27. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry, it's maple.

Mint condition, boxed.

28. greg_SA

greg_SA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Russ, I don't think I'll be able to space the Q2ds correctly... My listen position is on a couch which is against the back wall, and I have only one side wall, the other side is open.

Are the Q2ds meant to be on the side walls (to the left and right of the listening position), or just far apart on the rear wall (say in line with the front Left + Right)?

If they have to go on the side walls, then I can't use them... and if they go on the back wall, then the one is going to be in a corner... which doesn't sound like a good idea (as you mentioned)...

So it may be best to go for the Qcompacts then, on wall mount brackets on the back wall...

Does this sound correct?

Sorry for the long post! :blush: :D

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I've gone for Qcompacts as rears and I think they'll be fine for your system too.

Although I'm not mounting mine, I'll be buying some stands for them, either Apollo A1/9 or Partington Ansa 100. :smashin:

30. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    ah well, can't really afford to buy one anyway...sigh...wouldn't have stopped me tho! :D