1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q series vs Quad L series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jazzman, Dec 6, 2004.

1. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello guys, i am building a new HT in my house 60% music 40% movies i was pretty much set on the speaker choice but somebody talked me out of it. İ was set on buying the Quad L series 12L & 11L's + the L center, but a friend of mine talked me out of it he is getting the distributorship of Kef Speakers in Turkey and he told me wait. he is probably going to suggest me the Kef Q7 for the fronts the Q9center along with Q1 for the rear am i doing the right thing on postponing my buy which one would you favor i, really would appreciate the help.
    :lesson:
    Best Regards

Kerim

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only real way to be sure what you like best is to audition both sets of Speakers and decide what you like best out of the 2.
    Both speaker sets you are looking at are very good so let you're ears be the judge!

John

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The KEFs are also very good speakers, it really depends on the sound you are after, best way to decide between these two speaker sets is to audition them both.

I prefer the classic look and superb finish of the Quads to the KEF's, but that is a personal opinion. The KEF Q7's were on my shortlist too, but the Quads won it for me, to my ears, they just had a better balance and mid range (this was with the 12L's I heard, the 21L sounds even better).

The UniQ driver on the KEF's is very cool though, gives a very wide dispersion, not quite as holographic as the Quads, but close enough for there not to be much in it. The Q9C centre is lovely and I would say on par with the Quad L Centre for sound quality, but, the Quad L subwoofer outclasses the KEF Q series PSW2500 by quite a large margin. If you go for the KEF's, I'd advise going a little higher in their sub range than the PSW2500, maybe a PSW3000 or PSW4000.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I agree completely. I've just ordered the PSW2500 as it goes with the rest of the Q series kit I'm ordering. But on listeining to the Quad L subwoofer, there reallly is no comparison. The Quad sub is simply amazing, I was thinking about the Quad package but unfortunatley it would have been twice as much than the Kef Q series package I'm ordering.

I do love that Quad finish though :smashin:

5. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Which Kef Q series are you ordering Tejstar. just curious ?

i think i am going to have to test them side by side i wont have the chance to test the Quad sub though since they only send it on special order since the main distributor is not in my city .

İ dont know why but my heart and my ears loved the Quad's sound and look i am just worried a little that i might be under my conscious influenced by the looks of it but eveybody pretty much around the world is convinced of the quality and the sound of those speakers.

What about room size i have 40m2 room of which half of it will be used for musci and dvd watching 3 sides wall 1 side open perfect rectangle will the power of the quads be sufficient ? What do you guys think ? :rolleyes:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Quads should be fine, they can handle up to 200Watts of power I believe.

The way I see it, if you loved the sound of the Quads, just go for it, what is important is what sounds good to you, not what others say. I'm very happy with my Quads, I think they are perfect for their price and wouldn't change any aspect to them.

They are rated at 6ohms though, so need a little bit of oomph to drive them, I think the KEFs are a little easier to drive. For me, the Quads are worth the extra cost, and their class will shine through the more you listen to them.

I certainly find them more engaging with every listen, the KEF Q7AV package is very good, but just outclassed by the superlative Quads in my humble opinion.

Saying that, the KEF Q2DS rear surrounds are VERY good, and Quad doesn't have a rear solution apart from standard forward firing stand mounters/floor standers, hopefully they will release something soon, in the meantime, I'm MORE than happy with my Mordaunt Short rears.

Try to listen to the KEF's away from any influences, a listen in a showroom other than your friends would be a good first step. Then have a listen to the Quads, see what is right for you :)

7. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot kazman one more question the kef q2ds have to be mouunted on a wall right ? i dont have a wall behind so that wont be an option for me actually i was planning on putting the quad 11L on the back what do you say ?

I am trying to find a marantz sr 7500 by the way from abroad thus they wont import it to turkey for some time i hope it is as good as they say it is i have read a few reviews on that receiver. I would also like to know if i buy a midrange dvd player will it give me the same performance of a budget cd player whhen it comes to music playback ? for instance a denon 2910 or 3910 will it be at least as good as a Cambridge Audio 640 C or should i split my budget and buy a more affordable dvd player and go for a separate cd player ? . What do you think ?

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Jazzman – I’ve ordered the following Kef’s:

Fronts: Kef Q4’s
    Centre: Kef Q6c
    Rears: Kef Q-compacts
    Sub: PSW-2500

They’re obviously not as powerful as the Q7’s or even the Q5’s but will suit my room for now, more importantly I got them for £810 which is a cracking deal imo!

I originally was going to go for the Quad L series package (with 21L’s as fronts) and as much I love them (both visually and aurally) my wallet brought me back down to reality. The Quad’s come in at around £2k which is twice what I’m paying for the Q4 package!

Kazman is right though, the Quads are better than the Kef’s imo. If you go for them you definitely won’t be disappointed :thumbsup:

9. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks a lot Tejstar the price i can get the quad's with the L sub is around 1450 GBP here is that a good deal what do you think ?

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    That is a cracking price mate, that package would cost you £2000 in the UK.

The L sub is fantastic mate, you won't be dissappointed with it. The 11L's should be fine at the back. The SR7500 should be fine for the Quads, it is based on the SR7400, I believe the differences are auto setup and THX certification with the THX processing modes.

So if you are unable to find the SR7500, you might be able to get an SR7400 for a bargain price as it is near the end of its product life cycle.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    That is a brilliant price - I would have not hesitated to order it at that price!

Where are you based out of interest?

12. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am in turkey right now