1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef "Q" Series comments please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nsouthga, May 21, 2002.

1. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to invest in a new HC setup and I'm considering the following configuration:

Fronts: Either Q3's or Q5's

Front Centre: Q9c

Rears: Q1's

Sub: Rel q150e

AV: Denon 3802

I will be auditioning this setup shortly, but I would welcome any comments on the above, especially from owners of the new Q series. I like to canvas opinion to be thrown into the decision "pot" before I audition.

I'm particulary interested on peoples opinion of the Q3's versus the Q5's, given I'm getting a Rel.

TIA

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can give you the following advice, which isn't exactly the same experience as you're possibly going for but similar all the same.

I currently use:

Denon 2802 amp - through:

Front: Kef Q55.2 / Centre: Kef Q95c / Rear Surround: Kef Q15.2 / Rear: Kef Q95c

Rel Q150e sub.

I know that comparatively it's not a great system, which is cool because it meets my needs without breaking the bank.

That said, I personally love the clarity I can get from the system but also the really low bass that it can achieve. A lot of people didn't think the Q55s were much better than the 35s but the 2.5 way nature of them allows easy tuning with the sub and the Q15s are probably better than most for budget surround speakers.

It should be noted that my set-up is purely for 5.1 and 6.1, I wouldn't use it for stereo listening as I have a dedicated 2 channel set-up. I think the Uni-Q driver idea works better with surround sound as it gives a more sensible 'spread' of sound in most home theatre rooms (mine is no more than 12ft by 14ft, roughly half of my living room).

I think it's probably the Denon that makes the speakers sing and I would imagine that'll only be better with the 3802. I don't think you'll go far wrong for your money with the set-up you're proposing.

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    nsouthga,

Have a look at the thread started by Uncle Eric "best speaker under £250". It is really interesting and mainly covers the Q1's.

cheers

4. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ive got nearly that set up -

Fronts: Q5's

Front Centre: Q9c

Rears: Q1's

AV: Denon 3802

no sub yet as never thought it was not that important with getting the Q5's, but have changed my mind i need base so a rel 150e should be comming my way soon. Not that the Q5's havent got bass, just need more :D

I never compared the Q3's and Q5's up front, just Q'1s to Q5's up front, and i loved the Q5's so there was no point trying the Q'3s.

Anyone know the best place to get a rel 150e from ???

5. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Baggy69, so are you a happy bunny with your system?

How does it handle movies and music?

6. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im a very happy bunny :D its more quality then i will ever need, the 3802 was ment to be bad with music, well if it is the Q's make it sing.
    my mate went for the B and W 600 series for his home cinema, and he is well gutted now hes listened to mine.

Where are you getting your sub from and how much you paying?

7. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So you really think the KEF Q's are superior to the B&W 600 S3's?

Cheers!

8. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear those comments Baggy, the B&W's were also on my short list so it's interesting to hear that.

What differences did your mate pick up between the Kef's and the B&W's?

I did plan on auditioning those also, it will be interesting to hear the difference.

I plan on buying the rel (plus the amp and speakers) from Sevenoaks. Their list price for the rel is 5 pence shy of £500.

Given I'm buying all the other stuff, I'm obvioulsy going to be looking for a discount on the whole package!

I did see a supplier selling the rel's for £385 on this forum somewhere??

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would have been www.petertyson.co.uk

It's where I got mine.... one of the ones that didn't hum.

10. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After reading all this info I went into my local Sevenoaks and was asking them about the Q1's...don't they just look lurvly I was well impressed with how they looked and the guy I spoke to asked what i'ld be using them for..i'm not too bothered about music as I already have an imp and good set of speakers for that.

He then stated that the Kef Eggs would do a better job...indeed they do look good apart from the crappy stands which don't look good.

So anyway i'm having both sets demo'd tomorrow with a denon 3802....

BTW can the denon take 6.1 as i'm also thinking if I get the Kef Eggs of getting an extra speaker for rear.

Ta.

Stan...

11. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "He then stated that the Kef Eggs would do a better job...indeed they do look good apart from the crappy stands which don't look good."

It's good that you're demoing both... and whatever happens, or is suggested, only buy what genuinely sounds best to YOU... but I doubt the Kef eggs will sound better than the Q1s.

Yes, the Denon 3802 outputs 6.1 and also 7.1

13. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks juboy,

I should of stated that i'm having these speakers demo'd with the Denon 2802 because I can't really justify paying upto 700 quid for an av reciever really.

Does the 2802 do 6.1?

Ta

Stan..

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep Stan, the 2802 does output 6.1 and, in my opinion, very well indeed. If need be, you can also add a power amp at a later stage.

Myself and Bonesy from the forum both ended up going for the 2802 and have both been very, very pleased with them.

15. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cool,

Next you know what i'm going to ask you:

Know anygood places to get this AV receiver cheap as i'll try and get Sevenoaks to price match depending if I go with them.

Stan..:D

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We got ours for £480 next day delivered from L E Concepts (their regular price is £499). That was based on us buying two at the same time though.

I think there may be places doing them around £485 as standard now, not sure.

17. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  18. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I had my demo of the Kef Eggs...was well impressed with the quality from something that small!

Then I had the Q1's demo'd with a Q9c the quality was very close indeed but I thought the Q1's had an edge and were much more crisp than the Keg eggs...

So really I think i've made up my own mind on that one now...

Seven oaks didn't give me a good quote though so even when I stated i've seen the amp for 480 they could only sell it for £600!!

Now all I need to do is work out spacings for this kit!

Stan..

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Stan... I think you may have to use an online retailer in order to get the 2802 for £480 though. I used LE Concepts, who were great.

20. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also Stan you have to take in consideration the Eggs had a sub with them, I imagine the 5Q speakers with a sub would sound a lot better than the eggs with a sub?

21. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After stating that I could get the stuff cheaper from superhifi they can do me a deal for £1200 for Q1's x2, Q9c, Denon 2802 and speaker cable to Biwire the lot.

Does that sound like a good deal to you?

Stan..:confused:

22. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the new Kef Q-Series at a local store and was immediately stuck by the design:LOVELY! My dreamspeakers always were the B&W Nautilus Series. The problem was & is, that even if I could afford the 804, I didn't have the money to pay for adequate electronics... So I focused on the CDM-Series... until I heard the Q7! Not to say the Q7 would be better than B&W's CDM9NT, but for the electronics (and for the money) I own, the Q-Series are more suitable. I heard the Q7 with electronics from "Cambridge Audio (Preamp, Poweramp & CD-player) and was astonished of the sound quality. I don't know yet what to do. Using the Q7 and Q9c with my HT-Setup (Denon 3801) or having a HiFi-system with the Q7, the Cambridge Audio Preamp and biamping with my Parasound HCA-806...

23. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody use the new Q-Series with his hometheatre??? If yes, which combination? Sub?

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned the Q5s and against the Q3s for my sister and have to say they are clearly better IMO. Plus they can punch out serious bass, so if you only have a small room a dedicated sub may not be required.

I have a Kef Q.2 setup at home and it does the job very nicely.

25. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really fancy the KEF Q range (either the Q3 or Q5 speakers plus the Q9c) to connect to my Denon 3802, but the Q1s are just too deep for me to have as rears (our settee is right up against the back wall).

Would something like the Mission 7DS just be totally out of place if used as rears with these speakers? I need rears that can be mounted high just under the ceiling.

I was also thinking about getting the MJ Acoustics pro 50 sub to go with this setup.

Our room size is 4m by 3.8m,so not huge. I listen to a lot of music in addition to watching DVDs, so music perfomance is key!

I'd really welcome some advice on this.
    Thanks,
    Adele.