Answered KEF Q Range - Now the R Range

meagabyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, got a question on the newish Kef Q range.
I have been going back and forth for a little while now wanting to upgrade my front sound stage.
I had settled on the Kef Q750 but after seeing a pair in the flesh I was disappointed in how they looked. I know looks aren't anything when it comes to sound but I do like my HT to look as good as it sounds. So then moved onto the Q950 range which IMO looked as imposing as id want them to.
Doing some digging and most of the reviews are coming up good. One or two have noted that the lower end wasn't as good as expected though. Checking out the specs and it looks like even though you see 4 drivers, only two are powered and the other two are passive radiators.
So my question is, is the price tag worth paying for only two active drivers?

With the new R Serie on the horizon there are some interesting discounts available on the outgoing model with an exceptional one of the R700 Black Edition.
KEF R700 Floorstanding Speakers - Limited Edition Black - Superfi

This offer makes them as cheap if not cheaper than the Q950s which in my mind makes it a no contest. However both the Q950 and especially the R700s will thrive on power and to get the best out of them, especially if using them for a lot of stereo music listening, you should think of external power to supplement the Denon 4300 which I assume you will be using.

I also note that you have a good sub in which case the bass would be produced by the SVS with the Q750/950 being crossed at 80hz. I would also think that if you wish to use the bass of the speakers then you would be listening in stereo where the weak link would not be the speakers bottom line but the Denons musical prowess, or lack of it.

Haha I was actually typing up my thread in a PM to your self but thought I had utilized enough of your time on asking the same question different ways.
I do indeed plan to use my 4300 but have now started looking at adding a power amp such as the Marantz MM7055 (140w x 2 channel) or the Emotivia. but that will be a different thread when I get there. Either way id be looking at adding a 140-200W 2/3 channel power amp into the mix at some stage.
Ive read many of your posts rating the R series as top notch but they really do shine for music and music must make up about 7% of my listening at the moment. Im not 100% sure the pre-amp in the Denon would do them justice.
Price wise ive some across a nice set of 950s for about 1050 Ex demo ( if they still around).

The R's trump the Q's for H/t. I had the previous q500's and Q200 and swapped them out for the r500's and an LS50 centre. There was no contest. So much more refined and yes they really do shine for stereo music but the benefits are also clear to see in a 5.1 config.

Saying that the new Q's have closed the gap.

Aesthetics alone, I'd still choose the R's they are one of my favourite looking speakers.

Don't get me wrong, the R series is fantastic but when deciding on the Q series the idea was to replace the centre as well to match. The R700s are on par price wise with the Q950.
But I would then need to pair it with the R200 I assume ( not the R600 I hope) This again is only marginally more expensive than the Q650. However, without the use of the power amp these speakers will be starved for power from the beginning which might ruin the experience until I can afford the power amp. Not to mention they don't seem to do the black version of the centres.

On looks I much prefer the silver conned R700s and would still purchase the original R700s and to hell with the cost. That's very easy for me to say as buying a pair of floorstanders, any pair of floorstanders, would also involve knocking down a wall. So, I'll take a pair of Reference 5s please, one can dream!

The ideal centre for the R700s would be the R600C which is also recommended for the R300s and 900s. However I'm more than happy with the performance and front soundstage of my R300s coupled with the 200. I think KEF must be marketing the Black Edition to the stereo buyer. I don't know whether the Black Edition comes with the standard grill covers which would make a uniform presentation.

However, without the use of the power amp these speakers will be starved for power from the beginning which might ruin the experience until I can afford the power amp.

I don`t believe this is true, that they would be starved from power right away. That same receiver is being used with R-serie and many other expensive speakers all around world because 4000 serie Denon has always been kinda "sweet spot". This receiver is VERY popular in US, if you read other forums. It`s not a budget receiver! The R-serie will still sound better with your receiver than lower serie (Q speakers). I would always buy the best speakers you can or you will definitely regret it later. Amps/receivers come and go, but most of people buy speakers to keep them long time.

Where todays receivers might "cough" is when you drive 9 speakers very loud, of course depending of model. Correct me if i`m wrong, but i remember you are after 5.1 system for now? Your receiver will push ~100w for 5ch continuosly (8ohm 0,1% THD) and in real world you aren`t driving your system as full range, your subwoofer takes quite big load off from your receiver when using ~80hz crossovers plus the fact that not each speakers are in play all the time with movies. Denon X4200 pushed 215w for 2ch continuosly for 4ohm load (0,1% THD), which isn`t far example from X7200 (234w) or Yamahas flagship A3060 (228w). Where we see drop in performance compared to these, is when adding more speakers and running them all same time. But again real world use is little different to test bench situation. The numbers are just numbers, i believe those two are still better in real life use but what i noticed is X4000 serie pushes lot more in 4ohm load than cheaper models, basically being on par with the expensive receivers. So the powersupply isn`t what i would call weak.

High quality poweramp will definitely make your system sound better i don´t argue with that, but the point i`m after is you shouldn`t choose lower model speakers cause of your receiver. It would come haunt me later on if i could have higher serie for same price..

AVForums tested X4300H with the large Arendal 1723 speakers which has nominal impedance of 4ohms, sensitivity is same as for R700 model. Impedance curves runs low with R-serie too, although KEF prints nominal impedance as 8ohm.

"We started the testing process by setting up a 5.1 system using three Arendal 1723 monitors and matching 1723 surround speakers, along with one of their 1723 Subwoofer 3 subs. It’s a serious system, don’t let the word monitor fool you, and we were pleased to discover that even a relatively inexpensive AV receiver like the X4300 was capable of handling the big Arendals."

Sorry for long rant! Just opinion, you do as you feel is best! :)

Last edited:
@Gasp3621 makes a valid point. Good speakers will certainly outlast a couple of generations of receivers and the R Serie are built to last. Just running 5.1 is not going to impact on your desired sound quality as much as getting an inferior speaker. I ran my 5.1.2 using just the 6200 until recently. No dramas.

Will you notice a difference when adding a power amp? Absolutely. That, however, can be left for the near future if you wish to get the best speakers with that in mind right now. Those R700s are just too tempting.

Just got to my PC and it ended 26.7 unfortunately. It might be worth while signing up to their marketing email just in case they send something else out similar in the near future. Mine had what I believe is a unique code to use directly on kef's site

Thanks for checking Raoulx.
Bugger you guys make a very valid point. I’ve replaced my amp three times since I’ve boight my current speaker set. Have checked that link but they say the R700 are out of stock definitely hasn’t planned on spending that kind of money as I’ll want the R600 to match. My goal is to run atmos and had planned on getting the Q50s as in ceiling isn’t an option. But I plan to move house in 18 months so maybe get the R front stage now. Then upgrade to atmos with a power amp next year. So question is, will the Rs drop in price as we get closer to the series 2 launch.

I would think so. keep an eye on ex demo stuff too. SSAV had some open box R500 for 1k a few weeks back. I got a pair of R300's from them for £700 new approx a year ago so if your buying the LCR bundle from them for example, there is defo room for negotiation

Last edited:
Well that's back to the drawing board and try convince the Mrs that we need the R series now lol.
Im guessing that even at their price you still need to buy the grills as an optional extra?
On a side note. can you use the plinth without the spiked feet? never been a fan of spiked feet.

And we can all agree that the R700 would beat the Q950 hands down in H/T?

I haven't heard the new q range in a h/t set up but there is no contest compared with the previous q range. The larger drivers will not really benefit either due to your sub dealing with the lower frequencies.

Try and get a demo with both in 2 channel. it will show you just how much more refined the R's are. This will be the same for h/t.

Plus they look better :D

Plus they look better :D
This is probably the only part I disagree with :p
I actually prefer the black oak affect instead of the high gloss. Gloss shows finger prints and dust to quickly.

This is probably the only part I disagree with :p
I actually prefer the black oak affect instead of the high gloss. Gloss shows finger prints and dust to quickly.

that they do. they are actually a nightmare to keep clean.

Hmm, that might actually put me off the R range for now.
Have an indoor cat and a 9 month baby girl. If they did a oak affect or none high gloss it would be better :(

I have a cat too he aint a problem, it's the dust but I have a feather thing and I go over my reference 3's say twice a week. takes all of 30 seconds each. they are gloss black too.

I can barely keep my normal stuff clean :D
So high gloss isn't a deal breaker yet. But it is a negative and in all fairness I do prefer the looks of the Q for some reason. The new Qs have closed the gap to the current Rs as well. But we will have to see what deals come out soon. Any idea on the release date for the new Rs?

there is a thread on here under hifi-speakers so subscribe to it, that's your best bet as ppl are awaiting them, myself included

Dust is the main problem with gloss black but I don't find finger prints to be too much of a problem. BTW the dust covers are standard on the current R Serie and they are very robust.

By dust covers you mean speaker grills yes? Okay that's a big plus for me. I love how speakers look without covers on but with animals and kids.. Needs must. I have found that thread about the KEF R new series and left a comment so hopefully should be in the know about any deals to come :)
now its the debate of Looks over sound quality haha.
The Qs look better to me but the Rs will sound better and last longer.
Gibs, I know your more of a two channel man but would you say the Rs trump the new Qs in HT?

A demo is a little difficult as most of the audio shops near me are Richer sounds who don't stock the Rs.

Is walnut & white out of picture? I see Sevenoaks has many colours available for R700 at 1300£. Not bad prices for R200C, R600C and R50 either!
Sevenoaks Sound and Vision

Plus if the new R-line is announced next month, will there be more discount available? One member just got 300£ off from list prices of MA Silver 300 & Silver C350 which are quite new still and these are soon old models. Just saying..

KEF-R700-Floorstanding-Speakers-in-Walnut-Ex.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom