1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Q Compacts. Anyone Using These?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jason44mag, Jun 22, 2005.

1. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Is there anyone using these speakers in a normal stereo setup, if so what are they like and is there any other speakers that are a better option?

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the Q1's for a while in stereo as I was building up my set and found them very 'forward'. brilliant sound staging and presentation. Bass was little lacking though.

Skinny

3. Rikizzy

Rikizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got these last winter in an overstock sale (35% off), I use them as my surrounds (6.1 setup), but when I first got them I hooked them in instead of my Q3's in front and my wife thought the Q3's were still playing. As mentioned above, sounstaging and imaging as well as mid and high range detail are in the same tradition of the UNI-Q's range (very impressive to me, a non audiophile expert), you will need a sub for bass, unless your using them in a small room or for computer. I even tried them as large speakers on my receiver, and I thought they were great. I'm thinking of getting another pair for my computer and maybe another for background music in the den.
    I was told little Mission speakers would be as good (same English sound for a little cheaper price), but placement is more critical due to port hole in the back, as opposed to the front on Q-compact.

Hope this helps, I just got into this stuff last year and I'm loving it. (kind of addictive, my wife thinks I'm sick or something) :thumbsup:

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that Kef are not quick to be recommended on these forums ( I may be wrong) but if you like a tightly controlled mid and upper range from a speaker thats not too fussy about amplification or where you put it and won't cost you 2 arms, look no further. People tell me that the kef bass is no good, well I bought a sub for that ;)

Skinny

5. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Thanks for the info guys but i was looking to use the compacts with a cd deck in a small room so they sound ideal.

6. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Skinny. I don't think it is a case of people not liking the Kefs, but rather that other speakers that appeal to people may be a lot cheaper and there may not be such a big difference in sound quality.

While I was shopping for speakers a few months ago I did audition the Kefs as well and yes they did sound good, but I felt that Monitor Audio and Mordaunt-Short were a good match and at a better price.

I am using the South African Home Entertainement Buyers Guide as a guide and there the following prices are quoted:

Kef Q5 - R7550(£618)
    Monitor Audio B4 - R5195(£425)
    Mordaunt-Short 908 - R5990(Price from Audio Imports)(£490)

Now if you were to look at what you can get from other manufacturers in the Kefs price range, you do go up quite a few pegs in sound quality(As always just my opinion!)

Oh yes, the original question was about Q-compacts, not Q1s. The Q-Cs are about half the size of the Q1s and are more suitable as surround or rear speakers.

Bottom line, though, Kef speakers does sound good. They do lack deep bass. The construction and finish is top class.

7. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey alpha

Agreed, in part. I say in part because I paid R1060 for My Q9c and R1300 for a pair of Q1's :D :D GREAT value.
    In that same guide the Ref 201 retail for R29000. I'm hoping to get a pair for +- R10000.

Skinny

8. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skinny, you lucky chap, you!

If I were able to get the Kefs as such a reduced price, it would have been a very hard decision to make! The best price I could get for Q5s, Q1s, Q6c & PSW2500 was R16000 whereas I paid R10930 for MS908s, 903s, 905 and 309 sub. In fact for R16930 I bought the MS speakers as well as a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R receiver and CA DVD-77 DVD player! And I can assure you that the sound and power(to my ears!) are comparable to a Denon 3805 and M&K speaker combination in movie mode and outperform the Denon combination in stereo mode.

Both MS and Kef have the sound I like, with MS having more bass. Both have very clear highs and mids without being to bright and both look good.

If you get the Ref 201 are you going to upgrade your receiver as well? I am not knocking your JVC, but honestly speakers like that need some real quality juice to perform at their best. I just checked and the 201s sell for around £1750 in the UK, so if you get them at that price its a great bargain.

I get so tired of us being ripped off in South Africa and love it when a consumer gets a good deal! So many dealers claim that the reason for the high prices is because of the service and distribution infrastructure that need to be in place, etc! Although I can agree to some extend, I still feel that we are taken for a ride!

Okay, someone else may now have the soapbox!

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I own some Kef's and whilst I'd agree that my Q4's lack bass - I don't think the same could be said for the Q5's or Q7's.

10. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Alphabet

Amp is most definately being upgraded, just cant make my mind up. considering the following:

Denon 3805
    Yammy 2500
    Waiting for Yammy 4600
    Rotel rsx1067
    Rotel Pre/pro 1067/1075

Decisions, decisions.

My good friend works for Yamaha and they import KEF in this country hence the good price. And yes we do get screwed horribly in this country. You can have your soapbox back now :D

Skinny