KEF PSW3000- any good?

mhuk05

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

is this sub any good? Hyper-"no sock left"-fi have them liste at £150.

If they have any, is the sub any good? How does it compare to the Velodyne CHT-10 and the BK XLS200?

Thanks, :hiya:

mhuk05 said:
Hello,

is this sub any good? Hyper-"no sock left"-fi have them liste at £150.

If they have any, is the sub any good? How does it compare to the Velodyne CHT-10 and the BK XLS200?

Thanks, :hiya:
From my understanding, not very well , but then again the xls200 is in a differant league :cool:

EDIT oppps missed the price you quoted, would have been a steal me thinks at that price, oh well,,

suprise, surpise "none letf sir, got some others at £249.."

Looks like the Velodyne or the BK... decisions!

Superfi are doing the KEF for £300. It seems like a good deal to me (RRP £600!). Unless you can get to demo it though, I still say go for the XLS200 or Velo.

The idea of a remote control appeals - the sub is going in the corner of the room behind an armchair, so access is a bit awkward to change any settings etc.

I think the options will be/are (for me) MS906 + XLS200 or, MS908 + Velodyne CHT-10

mhuk05 said:
The idea of a remote control appeals - the sub is going in the corner of the room behind an armchair, so access is a bit awkward to change any settings etc.

I think the options will be/are (for me) MS906 + XLS200 or, MS908 + Velodyne CHT-10

Why are you thinking of different speakers depending on the sub? I would choose speaker on the size of your room. Unless you have a very large room, the 906s will be fine.

I was thinking of different subs depending on the speakers ;)

Have you listened to the 908's vs 906's? Impressions? Music & movies?

Thanks.

I have not heard the 908s, but I think they deliver a very similar sound to the 906, but with more power. I have seen the 908s in a demo room, and in my opinion they are very big for an average sized room. The 906 on the other hand are quite elegant looking, and deliver a hell of a punch!. An advantage of the 908 is the extended bottom end due to the integrated side driver, but if you're thinking of using a dedicated sub, I really can't see the point of spending the extra on the 908, unless you are going to be using the extra power.

Gotcha. Just waiting for a price match (so I don't have to buy from RS) and then I'll probably be getting a pair of 906's.... :)

I think hiwayhifi do em cheap at the minute

What if you considered same price stand mounts/bookshelves? You could get rid of the boom, and get more quality. You'll "have to" put them as small anyway, as the sub does the bass with movies.

I'm trying to get another supplier to match the RS price-match against the hiwayhifi 906's (if that makes sense?). I have a pair of 902's (or will do when they arrive) so will eventually test the 902's vs 906's as the fronts and take it from there (think 908's will be too big for my small terraced house front room ;) ) ...

The PSW3000 is a VERY good sub for the money it is available for right now, and £249 is an absolute bargain for it!

Kazman: but you have a BK XLS200?!! How does it compare?

Room size is 3 x 4m, laminate wood floor.

The KEF is probably the better sub, it has an rrp of £600!!! :eek: BUT, it is over twice the price rrp, and therefore it should be better. The BK is a fantastic sub, and punches well above its weight, enough to keep in check many subwoofers in the sub £600 price bracket. At £249, the PSW3000 is a bargain!!

I used to own a KEF PSW2500, and was quite impressed with that sub (although the BK is better than the PSW2500). If you need to save space however, the BK is the better choice.

I'm taking the rrp with a pinch of salt ;)

Space isn't too much of a problem, I guess the price with postage of the KEF will be the same as the BK. Has anyone here used/ heard/ got the KEF PSW3000? Or better still, tried them both? :)

And there's a B&W ASW800 for £280 - is it any good? Or is it better to go for a new unit?

Yes, I saw that and would prefer to buy from superfi for the reason you state.
But... has anyone got or heard a 3000? Is it "better" or equal to a BK XLS200 and a Velodyne cht-10R??

Not sure about performance but the kef certainly looks nicer than the others, don't know if thats important but it can be a consideration.

It's going behind an armchair so looks are not important.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom