1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef PSW300 is it any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by patton, May 2, 2005.

1. patton

patton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello I have also been looking at the kef sub 3000 does anyone know if it is anygood and of £300 is a fair price for it?

Thanx

Also can anyone recommend any subs £200-£300 that are compact yet have plenty of power?

2. ommadawn

ommadawn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got meself a BK XLS200-DF and its :clap:

Not the most technical recommendation I know, but you get me drift. :thumbsup:

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The PSW3000 is a good sub for that price, £300 is a bit of a bargain for it. Unfortunately, it wasn't that good at it's entry price point, so don't expect miracles. It will probably go lower than the likes of the BK XLS200, but probably won't produce as good a sound, you may get more boom instead of bang.

Saying this, I used to own a KEF PSW2500 and was VERY happy with it, it certainly looks nice the PSW3000, at the £300 price point it is a bit of a bargain.......If you up your budget though, you could get a Sony SAXV900, SVS PB10 or the new BK Monolith (which I will be reviewing tomorrow evening hopefully).

4. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300 seems reasonable but I think you'd be better off with a B&K XLS200 for that money unless you can get a much better secondhand sub for the same money.

I may be out of turn here but I have checked out a few subs KEF's included and although they sound low they don't go low, even the manufacturers quoting lowest values of 30Hz ..... Mission are even worse ... and sorry but REL only report 25Hz as lowest on a similar sub, my floor standers can achieve 35Hz for crying out loud. Trouble is most sub manufacturers don't seem to want to tell you at what sound pressure (volume) levels they made their measurements.

Bass is supposed to be about filling the hole below the lowest your mains will achieve down to 20Hz and below (where you feel more than hear).

The B&K at least claims 17Hz at -6db (bit antisocial at that volume but hey the neighbours gotta go out sometime ;) )

I too am seeking a sub but size of amp and box aren't the only considerations, there needs to be some thought what function the sub is to fulfill and what the rest of your system is capable of - not to mention the size of the room.

Loud / Big or expensive does not necessarily mean good .....

Again sorry if anyone thinks I speak out of turn ....