Kef PSW2010 on it's way out

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AndrewD3000, Jan 10, 2012.

1. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys need a little advice here

I've had my Kef Sub and eggs for a while now.
    About 2 years ago the sub started humming, this only occured after I'd been watching HD and then turned the receiver off. I thought nothing of this until about 6 months later when trying to watch a film the Sub started Screaming.

I eventually had to replace the amp within my sub via Kef at a cost of £150.
    Guess what it's started the humming again, now this could be coincidence but I'm convinced its on it's way out again.

So the question is, do I pay another £150 for another repair or do I go for a brand new sub. If Brand new what would work well with my existing Kef Eggs and Denon Amp (see sig for details)

2. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Surely the replacement amp came with a warranty, I would get back onto them and ask what they intend to do about the fault it has.

I have noticed a lot of Kef subs seem to suffer from amp faults :(

3. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Oh and this should be in the Subwoofer section, you might get more answers there

4. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it would have come with a warranty but it was 2 years ago, standard warranty tends to be 12 months only, I'll dig out the paperwork none the less.

How do I move the thread to subwoofer section or is that something only mods can do

5. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ^^
    PM a Mod but usually they will see it and move it.

6. Frank1471

Frank1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    See my sig. I repair lots of these subs for a LOT less then Kef charge.
    Kef are very good but do nothing to stop the same fault reoccurring. I do.
    Frank

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    Unless you pay for it an amp will not come with any warranty at all. A repair or replacement during warranty period only serves to complete the original warranty terms. Kef will charge the best part of £100 for the repair as well for what is in some cases only a few quid to fix, and probably less for them.

8. JohnyCat

JohnyCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew.

I was in exactly the same predicament as you. My Psw 2010 did the whole buzz thing on boxing day leaving me with a new blu ray player, lots of unwatched blu rays and i was totally cheesed off...

My 5.2 Kef system was 5 and a half years old. I searched the net on the 2010 issues and rapidly came to the conclusion that I would rather put the 150 for repair towards a new sub. I mentally knocked off 150 quid off every sub I looked at.

I came on here for advice and was pointed toward Bk electrics subs and i stretched the budget for the fantastic Monolith.

What a difference over the Kef. I have a similar set up to you. Denon receiver . Kef eggs( i love them). I invested in some QED silver anniversary cable for the eggs and they have really benefitted from it.

Anyway, back to the sub. I ran the auto set up on the Denon and wow.

I hard Slash live at Stoke in the blu ray and the music was awesome compared to the kef. The base was tight and perfect. The eggs sounded better as the whole sound was less muddy due to the clearly defined and better balanced bass.

With my kef my ears were drawn to the corner of the room where the sub was for the bass sound. With the bk it so well intigrated that you are drawn centrally to the main speakers if you know what I mean. Its integrated in the whole wall of sound. I play guitar and sax and have some serious gear. So i think I have good ears. Its not just a big step up in the subwoofer department but in the whole system. The eggs seem like they have been upgraded too.

About 90% of my use will be movies. So after being astounded by Slash, on went the Hurt Locker. Same again. Much cleaner bass, less intrusive as a whole, untill....Bang!!!!! **** me I dived for the floor!

Incredible. Again, i thought I had my Kef was well set up but i always new where my sub was. I thought it was awesome. Get a Bk it will improve your whole sound, not just the bass.

Just a tip in case you dont know. After auto set up with your Denon. Confirm settings and then make sure that all the eggs are set as small in the speaker menu. Quite often one will be set as large. just change to small and you are good to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

9. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I'd second getting a BK sub. I replaced my 3rd PSW2010 (the first two were replaced under warranty) with a BK XLS200 and to be honest, it's the best decision I made; excellent build/reliability and a far better performing sub than the 2010.

If your budget stretches to a new sub then imo I would replace the Kef rather than repair it. However I assume you have the Kef eggs? If that is the case then I would go for a sealed sub like the XLS200/XXLS400 rather than a ported one like the Monolith.

10. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Frank, I will bear that in mind, should I go down the repair route. Do you have any references

11. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Johnycat and MikelJ, to be honest I've never heard of BK (but then I'm no expert), I do have the Kef eggs and they're working fine. I also have some good cable in place, so if I do go for a replacement it will be just the sub. From both your descriptions its apparent that the BK could give me something I didn't know I was missing with the PSW2010. I'm guessing from the .. erm .... basic nature of their website, BK electrics are a fairly small company. Does anyone have any views on what after sales support is like.
    Oh and one more question, all of their subs seem to come in two flavours, FF or DF.
    My sub is located in the corner of the room under a table and a sofa next to it, I would imagine that FF is the best option in this case

12. Frank1471

Frank1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a whole thread devoted to PSW2010 faults here:
    There is also a massive "part 1" thread.
    Have a look at the comments there. I have repaired almost 200 of these now.

Whether you upgrade or not, a repaired Kef sub has a re-sale value far greater than a faulty one.

Frank

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. JohnyCat

JohnyCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew. If you browse the forums or search Monolith you will find people raving about all of BK products.
    Incredible value for money and in my opinion, if you go BK then you will notice a big difference over your last sub which was the same as mine.

Yes they are a small company that keep costs low by only trading from their website. They also build to order, so you might have to wait up to 3 weeks. Current estimates are 10 to 14 days. But believe me they are well worth the wait. Most people on here say that they are worth two to three times the price you pay compared to what else is on the market.

I found them fantastic to deal with and I got through on the phone easily and they replied to my mails promptly.
    I have read to that their after care is excellent as obviously I have not had a problem and quite frankly, due to the obvious build quality, I dont expect to have to.

I hadn't heard of them either untill, like you, I came on here when my KEF 2010 went duff....

Search the forum or post another thread like are BK any good? You will be flooded with positives.

There is a recent thread -Is BK worth the wait? Should answer all your questions.

Good luck

14. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I have the Kef 2005.2, only now with a BK XLS200. There's no need to go replacing your speakers just because you replace the sub.

I've not encountered any problems with mine, so I've not needed to deal with after-sales support. As already suggested, perform a forum search - in fact, that's what persuaded me to replaced by dead PSW2010 with a BK.

There's no difference in DF or FF, so just pick whichever model suits you the best.

15. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Thanks for the advice Mike, already broached the subject with my erm financial consultant and she agrees. Start saving now I guess