KEF PSW2010 issue

robtb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a KEF PSW2010 and have noticed an audible hum over recent weeks to the point it is now distracting in all quiet scenes during a film. I have tried a different connection and it it is the same.

I have tried both ground settings and there is no difference. The only difference I notice is if I turn the phase adjust to max the hum is slightly louder. The sub is well outside warranty now, but I had a few questions in what to do next. I did some reading and found some mention of changing a relay in the sub for similar issues.

Are there any tips or tricks to remove/reduce the hum?

If it is a common/known issue and is it fixable by myself or does it need a KEF engineer?

If it needs an engineer would it be cost effective to change the amp and sell the sub on eBay with the hum described?

Cheers

QED Ultra Compact White Custom Subwoofer Cable (7 Metres)… https://amzn.eu/d/4dw338e

AVR Denon x2400h
TV LG c1
Speakers KEF kht eggs 2005.2

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Kef PSW2000 series are renowned for humming and people have found fixes although with what the woofer is worth, I wouldn't spend a fortune on getting it sorted

Before consigning the woofer or trying one of the modes, Power the woofer off, unplug everything and move it to the middle of the room. take a photo of the dial settings and then turn them all so they are 50%. Plug the mains cable in and then power it on and see if the woofer without the RCA LFE lead is still humming.

If the hum is still there, it shows it the woofer and I would do a search on these forums as to what fixes others have done as there are loads of threads. If its gone quiet, then if could be a simple setup issue or the LFE RCA cable is picking up an unwanted signal and you will need to sort it

The one thing to remember if the woofer has gone faulty and you don't wish to add money to a bad cause, swapping the woofer with any other brand will be fine as almost all subwoofers will work with the Kef eggs and your Denon

At the lower end you could look at the Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 or if you want something a little meater, you could look at Dali, B&W or Monitor Audio's entry level woofers. If you really want something a little more special, you could jump to SVS SB1000 Gloss Black. This will probably the last woofer you buy unless you upgrade your speaker system to something a lot bigger

The Kef PSW2000 series are renowned for humming and people have found fixes although with what the woofer is worth, I wouldn't spend a fortune on getting it sorted

Before consigning the woofer or trying one of the modes, Power the woofer off, unplug everything and move it to the middle of the room. take a photo of the dial settings and then turn them all so they are 50%. Plug the mains cable in and then power it on and see if the woofer without the RCA LFE lead is still humming.

If the hum is still there, it shows it the woofer and I would do a search on these forums as to what fixes others have done as there are loads of threads. If its gone quiet, then if could be a simple setup issue or the LFE RCA cable is picking up an unwanted signal and you will need to sort it

The one thing to remember if the woofer has gone faulty and you don't wish to add money to a bad cause, swapping the woofer with any other brand will be fine as almost all subwoofers will work with the Kef eggs and your Denon

At the lower end you could look at the Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 or if you want something a little meater, you could look at Dali, B&W or Monitor Audio's entry level woofers. If you really want something a little more special, you could jump to SVS SB1000 Gloss Black. This will probably the last woofer you buy unless you upgrade your speaker system to something a lot bigger
Thanks for the response. I still get the hum without a RCA connected, so looks like something needs addressing.

I will check the other threads. I don't mind tinkering a bit if the fix is relatively cheap.

You wouldn't suggest it would be cost effective to contact KEF?

if your happy tinkering, you’ve nothing to loose. As for contacting KEF, you’ve nothing to loose although the woofer won’t be under warranty which means if you do send it in, only you can decide whether it’s economical to repair. For me, with the history behind the PSW woofer, I’d look at swapping it

I think I (well my sparky neighbour) am going to replace a couple of the capacitors on the sub.

C52 (47uF 63v or 100v 105°C)

C59, C60 (Main smoothing) 10,000uF 63v 105°C

Does anyone have any links? I don't want to get the wrong ones.

Hi,

If you haven't already found the parts, I can send you those and few others to replace.

These are just about always economical to repair as you'd probably find out yourself. Pretty much everything you buy new today would be good for as long as it works until it fails.

Good luck

Hi,

If you haven't already found the parts, I can send you those and few others to replace.

These are just about always economical to repair as you'd probably find out yourself. Pretty much everything you buy new today would be good for as long as it works until it fails.

Good luck
Ohhh ok. I will DM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom