1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF PSW2000 - whirring noises

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kevin Bracey, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just acquired the KEF KHT2005 eggs+sub system, together with a Marantz SR7200.

A few days in, the subwoofer's started quietly "whirring". It appears to be coming from the speaker, whenever it's turned on (and not in standby). It's about the same volume as my Sony DVD player's transport playing - so only noticeable in near silence.

The noise is a mid-to-high frequency whine with a faint crackle or clicks, sounding a bit like the radio interference caused by computer equipment. However, disconnecting the inputs, moving the subwoofer, turning off all other equipment and adjusting the knobs on the back don't seem to affect it.

Has anyone else had this?

2. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope

not mine

D

3. elaysian

elaysian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevin,

I had exactly the same problem with my PSW2000. I didn't notice it when I first got it, but after about 6 weeks I heard it one day and from then on all the time.

I returned it to my dealer and he swapped it for a new one which had exactly the same problem, albeit quieter. So I returned that one aswell. We checked the one they had setup in thier demo room and it also had the 'whine'.

So I think it affects all of them, but to differing levels.

The good news is that KEF are aware of the problem and there is a fix for it. Your dealer should be able to obtain the kit and fit it for you.

Hope this helps.

Jon