KEF PSW2000 Sub - questions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MrBigAl, Dec 3, 2001.

1. MrBigAl

MrBigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'd better warn you all that I might be picking your knowlegeable brains quite a bit over the next few weeks!!

I have just purchased a KEF eggs cinema package along with a Yamaha 620 amp and am overall quite pleased but am puzzled about some set up aspects.

At the moment the KEF PSW2000 sub is the greatest area of concern. The installation booklet goes into extensive detail about unpacking the beast, what you shouldn't spill on it etc - but very little about how you should use it!

Currently I have a single phono lead connected to the KEF's right line-in socket (supplied from the Yamaha sub-out socket). I realise that a lot of the settings will be the results of testing levels etc but I have some fundamental questions which, hopefully, you can help me with:

1. Is the single phono lead connection described above the best way to hook it up?

2. Does the quality/thickness of the phono lead make much difference?

3. There are 3 knobs on the sub and I've got the INPUT LEVEL set to half-way, the CROSSOVER FREQ set to half-way, and the PHASE ADJUST is set to zero. Is this a good starting point?

4. Some explanation of the three knobs would be most appreciated.

5. Is the POWER AUTTTTTO/MANUAL switch best left in the manual position?

6. How much should I mess around with the sub-levels on the Yamaha amp?

7. Is it normal to hear a very faint constant low hum from the sub even when nothing is being listened to? It's an extremely quiet hum and only detectable in a quiet room but it's there nevertheless.

At the moment the setup as described sounds pretty good for DVD movie watching but when I switch to cable TV the bass seems rather lacking, but I don't want to have to keep adjusting woofer-settings everytime I switch from watching DVD movies to watching ordinary TV!

I know room acoustics vary immensely but if someone has hit on a generally acceptable settings for the sub I'd be interested to hear from you. Any advice would be very welcome - thanks

Al

2. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the manual is crap. Kef please sort this out!

To answer your questions:

1) This is the preferred way for home cinema. It means your sub is handling all the bass signals below 80 Hz. Make sure all speakers are set to 'small' on the Yamaha and sub = 'yes'. My phono lead is plugged into the left input but I don't think it matters.

2) Use a proper sub lead but no need to spend huge amounts for this sub. I use an 5 metre IXOS 1081 which cost £15.

3) This is a good place to start. I set crossover to 120 Hz - it means I get a bit more upper bass to the sub. My amp's crossover is set at 80 Hz (most are including the Yam I think) but some signals are sent above this frequency. The eggs don't really go down to 80 Hz so anything that is sent to the sub above this frequency should help the sound. It depends what sounds the best to you.

4) Input level: sub volume. Crossover freq: frequency below which the sub operates. Signals above this frequency will not be reproduced by the sub. Phase: at 0 a +ve input signal will cause the sub speaker to move outwards along with the sats. At 180 the subs speaker will move inwards when the sat speakers are moving outwards. Can help when the sub is a long way from the sats of with two sub systems. Leave it at 0.

5) Up to you. Auto means the sub will switch on when it receives a strong enough signal but will go to sleep after 45 mins if it doesn't. Manual means that the sub is on all the time unless you switch off the power.

6) As much as you like until you like the sound. Is there a 'white-noise' setup feature on the Yam to help you balance the sub's volume with the other speakers?

7) I don't get any hum. Could be an earth problem. Use a proper lead (see 2 above) and try connecting the sub to a different mains socket than your amp.

Remember that Dolby Digital and DTS have a dedicated low frequency effects channel (LFE) so will usually sound more impressive than TV broadcast - which is just in stereo. What surround option are you using for TV?

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set the crossover in the sub to maximum, as you are using the receiver´s...

4. MrBigAl

MrBigAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting.

Flunchy: I have tried some of your suggestions. I have set the Yamaha to small speakers and that seems better (what do you set the woofer to? (not sure whether to set it to 'Both').

As far as settings for TV - I have tried mainly 'Enhanced', '5-channel stereo' and 'no effect' - they all vary quite a bit and I think the main problem I have is that there are so many settings that I am confused as to where to start!!!

Would you leave your woofer plugged in and switched on all the time in the Auto setting? (is this a safe thing to do?)

Cheers
    MrBig Al

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most of the dsp modes on the yamaha are good fun to play with for a couple of days then you will find that you will never bother again. I used to use pro logic or enhanced for TV and Video.

My sub has been left switched on for the last five years and hasn't blown up yet.

Ian

6. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MrBigAl

Leave your sub switched on at the socket and at the main switch on the sub as this means that the amp's transformer is always on and can operate at a steady temperature. Electronics prefer to operate at constant temperature rather than heating up/cooling down all the time (as per car engines).

I usually leave the auto/manual switch on manual, but I wouldn't worry about it and it's safe to leave it in either setting.

As for amp settings I don't have a Yamaha so I don't know the menu settings, seems Ian J can help you here. But for TV listening I think you'll find Dolby Pro Logic superior to the DSP modes on your amp.