KEF PSW1000.2 loud fault?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by snowbun24, Feb 8, 2009.

1. snowbun24

snowbun24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I have a KHT1000 AV system but with it's small Uni-Qs is great for my tiny lounge. I have used it for 4 years now but last week, I turned on the amp then the sub (always off) and got a very loud low sustained bass noise from the sub driver. Bad connection? tried that to now avail. Took the board down to KEF and had it tested. Nothing wrong but complimentary replacement bits "just in case" - when home, reconnected the line-in and the same noise! And I mean LOUD. No volume or phase changing affects it.
    Not a whiz at electronics guy so please help with a dash of dumb for me? :)

2. ResidentDeagle

ResidentDeagle
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    have you tried a different amp, maybe could be your settings? or different sub cable etc??

3. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Visually check all you subs cales. It sounds like it could be a ground fault on your power cable, I'd try changing that first. Change your sub to amp cable too just in case thats developed an issue. If the problem remains take your sub to the shop with your amp and let them hook the sub up to something and try it, then you'll know if its your sub or amp causing the problem. If it looks like it is the amp they'll at least be able to test it on another sub to make sure while your there.

If its not of those then remove the driver, fill the enclosure with soil and plant something nice in it for you home. Then go buy a BK XLS200 and enjoy life with a reliable sub manufacturer :rotfl:
    Sorry for the sarcasm but you see so many duff kef subs threads these days.

4. snowbun24

snowbun24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. When I have the time to travel the miles to my nearest audio shop I'll get a new amp>sub cable. It definitely wasn't the sub playing up as I saw the tech guys run it through their amps and oscilloscopes etc while hanging around. A guy there said it might need an earth (somewhere?) - if that means anything to anyone! I'll also get a power cable just in case. My amp seems to run ok on the satellites so why should the 'out' for the sub play up I wonder? Thanks again.

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,640
    Sometimes you can fix such a hum by running a wire from the plate of the sub amp to the casing of your amp (making sure you get bare metal) which may be what they meant by earthing it.

6. snowbun24

snowbun24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A sound idea! (ouch) - thanks Dave - I will give that a try first as it's the cheapest!

7. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thread resurection - did you ever sort this one out? I've got exactly the same problem.