KEF PSW 2010 Subwoofer - faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAmbrose

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all, been a while since I posted.

About a week ago my KEF PSW 2010 Sub started playing up and it would seem to be in need of repair. When the sub detects a signal (i.e the LED changes from red to green) it emits a loud and constant humming noise which continues until you turn it off.

Now usually I would just send it back to KEF for repair, but I bought this one from Play.com back in June 2004 and I'm pretty certain you aren't supposed to be able to buy KEF products over the internet. More worrying was that when I originally recieved the speakers and sub, the serial numbers had been scratched off all the Egg speakers which seems very dodgy. I'm not sure if it applies to the subwoofer as well.

So will KEF repair stuff without proof of purchase? I'd rather pay £50 for them to repair it than have to buy a new subwoofer. If not, what are my options?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary A

hi mate,

had a similar problem with same sub of similar age - took the amp out of the unit and sent it back to them - fixed it with no hassle and had it back within a week - was not asked for proof of purchase (but mine does have the serial numbers!!!). give them a call on 01622672261 and speak to the guys in servicing - they're usually pretty cool and there is a history of problems with the amp in this sub from the earlier ones built... had kef/celestion equipment for many years and never had a problem with them on repairs/faults... alternatively order a new amp for the box from them (shouldnt' be too dear)... be aware thatwhen removing the amp you need to keep the internal amp to sub cable and the plastic casing from the back of the amp... they didn't send mine back and had to chase for replacements... Good luck

Adam

hi mate,

had a similar problem with same sub of similar age - took the amp out of the unit and sent it back to them - fixed it with no hassle and had it back within a week - was not asked for proof of purchase (but mine does have the serial numbers!!!). give them a call on 01622672261 and speak to the guys in servicing - they're usually pretty cool and there is a history of problems with the amp in this sub from the earlier ones built... had kef/celestion equipment for many years and never had a problem with them on repairs/faults... alternatively order a new amp for the box from them (shouldnt' be too dear)... be aware thatwhen removing the amp you need to keep the internal amp to sub cable and the plastic casing from the back of the amp... they didn't send mine back and had to chase for replacements... Good luck

Adam

Thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply :)

I'll check the serial number tonight and give them a call. Is it fairly easy to open it up and remove the amp?

Gary A

it's a few screws and a bit of jiggling :D ... just be gentle and it shouldn't be a problem - costs a hell of a lot less than sending the whole unit... you'll want to wrap it well i'd suggest that once the plastic back is off a bit of cardboard around the electronics, bubble wrap and tight into a box - they're pretty fragile once you remove the protective case so it's important:smashin:

This is good news! My PSW 2000 subwoofer (bought as part of a KEF 2005 set from Hyperfi just under 2 years ago) has just stopped working. I'm distraught: the KEFs have been a superb purchase!

Here's hoping it can be repaired for a reasonable cost...

David

Had a look for the serial number, looks like they tore the sticker off...Great.

Do you remember if KEF needed you to provide the serial number when you sorted your one out?

Gary A

i never gave them the serial number but assume they saw it was on there when i sent it in - i wouldn't be surprised if the serial number is repeated on the inside somewhere (speculation obviously) - if not i can't imagine they'll refuse to fix/sell you a replacement - hope i'm not wrong for your sake mate:thumbsup: why not just give them a call, organise and don't mention it unless they do!!!!!

Had a look for the serial number, looks like they tore the sticker off...Great.

Do you remember if KEF needed you to provide the serial number when you sorted your one out?

Gary A

From the KEF warranty card I have:

"Removal or defacing the serial number on any KEF Audio UK product will results in the warranty being void. KEF will not be liable to repair or replace any product(s) that meet this condition"

:thumbsdow

Give it a go anyway and just plead ignorance if they quesion it. Otherwise it looks like you'll have to pay for the bits rather than get them gratis.

From the KEF warranty card I have:

"Removal or defacing the serial number on any KEF Audio UK product will results in the warranty being void. KEF will not be liable to repair or replace any product(s) that meet this condition"

:thumbsdow

Give it a go anyway and just plead ignorance if they quesion it. Otherwise it looks like you'll have to pay for the bits rather than get them gratis.

If it's more than a year old (like mine), it shouldn't matter what state the serial number's in - I'd expect them just to charge the standard £50 for replacing the appropriate bits. (KEF warranties are 1 year for active components.)

David

My sub has just developed what sounds like the same problem.

Thanks for the advice above.

I'll give 'em a ring and see about just sending through the amp.

Just thought I'd piggyback the thread.:smashin:

Just to clarify, it is the metal plate where the power lead goes in and where the controls are that I have to remove (as opposed to the actual speaker on the bottom)

Having major trouble getting 5 screws in particular out (The ones surrounding the PSW 2010 logo)

Gary A

You may need a 'Torx' screwdriver of the right size, but IIRC an allen key of the right size should work.

If you have neither, what sort of a man are you!

Russell

PS. the panel is heavy, so the whole sub may need turning on it's back, or applying a bit of leveradge may help.

Excellent, just what I need this is. Switched on my amp one day and for some odd reason it was at full blast, gave me the fright of my life, but since then the sub makes this loud, constant humming noise. It is well out of warranty now, but if the fix is 50 notes then that is all good :)

I've taken the back off and will phone KEF on Monday to see what they say :) Would anyone who has success with this please post full details :)

Thanks

Hi,

I had the same problem with mine last year - constant humming when switched on. I phoned Kef up and they were very helpfull. I just removed the amp panel, stuck it in a box tightly wrapped in bubblewrap and sent it off to them with a cheque for £50. At the time they didn't have any replacement panels in stock so they repaired mine and modded it to stop the same fault happening again and it was back with me within the week.

Unfortunately, when it arrived back with me and I unboxed it the actual metal panel was bent in one corner. You could see that someone (ie. the courier) had stood on the box, probably to reach something higher, as the cardboard box was squashed at that corner as well. However, once again, Kef were great. I phoned them to explain and there was no problem, they just sent another one out to me when they had a delivery.

All in all, great service from Kef.

I got this too!

Was slightly horrified when I switched it on tonight and it buzzed like a beauty.

Especially as I'd had everything powered off so I could change cables on Sky HD having got the dreaded HDCP error with my Pio.

Now got this! Not a good week!

At least it seems a pretty simple fix with KEF. I am slightly confused about the £50 payment though. I thought KEF had acknowledged the amp was less than perfect in this unit and was repairing for free irrespective of warranty.

I have the same problem on my PSW2000 (june 2003) and also thought that this would cost me. My local shop (not cheap) quoted me £100-150 for repair last month.

I'm glad I've seen this post. i will ring KEF tonight.

So I rang KEF service department.
The nice guy was quick to tell me that the power supply needed repaired especially since the subwoofer is always ON (although it goes into standby, the PSU is not in standby and wears out).

I'll disconenct it tonight and post it tomorrow.

It's £50 (inc tax and postage) for items older than 1 year.

So I rang KEF service department.
The nice guy was quick to tell me that the power supply needed repaired especially since the subwoofer is always ON (although it goes into standby, the PSU is not in standby and wears out).

I'll disconnect it tonight and post it tomorrow.

It's £50 (inc tax and postage) for items older than 1 year.

:rolleyes: I'm not good with telephone me... :rolleyes:

Have you all put a £50 cheque when you sent your unit or did you wait for an invoice? The guy said there is a £50 fee for repair but didn't say how and when to pay.

cheers

Hi everyone, just in the process of sending my board back to KEF after my 2010 stopped working. The engineer told me to remove the + and - leads from the board but I am not sure how to do this. I am a bit scared to yank them out!

Any advice from anyone who has already done this would be much appreciated!

Thx.

They are just spade connectors for the speaker connections. Just pull them off, giving them a little sideways wiggle to loosen them a bit. Make sure you make a note of which one is on which connector so that you put them back the right way when the repaired panel comes back.

Regards

Russell

They are just spade connectors for the speaker connections. Just pull them off, giving them a little sideways wiggle to loosen them a bit. Make sure you make a note of which one is on which connector so that you put them back the right way when the repaired panel comes back.

Regards

Russell

Thanks for your help, Russell. They just seemed really tightly attached and were refusing to slide off. Will give it another go today.

Thanks for your help, Russell. They just seemed really tightly attached and were refusing to slide off. Will give it another go today.

It was the same for me. i spent 30min trying to pull them off. Gave up, came back 1 hour later and they slided off easily. :confused:

I got my unit repaired and was back in my in home within a week.

Great job KEF:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom