KEF PSW 2010 Subwoofer - faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that lots of peopel encounter a humming noise in PSW models after some years' playing, I am a electronic engineer and I had inspected the PSW2000 sub, and found that it C52 would be dry out by heat
which generated from the beside resistor.So just to replace some capacitors is not fully solve the problem,
maybe some months later it would be humming again.
The root cause is to solve the heat problem, besides replacing C52,also remove the resistor and fix it onto
metal, it would he great helpful and I think the issue should not be happened again...
Hope aboved information would be some helpful to the people who repair the units.
Yes absolutely agreed.
This is why I produced the guides and modifications on my web-site.
Frank

Last edited:
Hi all, I followed Franks great guide on my PSW 2000 to cure the buzzing. Looks like I have caused a different issue though. The unit had been repaired by KEF a few years ago and had the modifications carried out. Recently it started buzzing so I changed the 3 caps. Since I've put it back together it doesn't recognise that it's getting an input audio signal. It doesn't buzz at all but when in 'auto' mode it never goes off the red standby light. On manual mode the green light comes on and RLY1 clicks in. If I plug the audio lead in the back of the unit while it's on auto it will switch on (led goes green) - but still doesn't output any sound therefter. If I plug the audio cable in on manual mode it gives a little static noise but again doesn't ouput any other sound.

There are no burnt components on the boards, i've checked continuity on the 3 wire ribbon that Frank mentioned was fragile and i've checked various resistors. I even fitted the old caps to see if I had faulty parts.

I've tried putting audio through it at almost full volume in case it has the high resistance fault. Tried different cables and amp. Just to reiterate - it was working fine, then had buzz issue but still switched on when an input was fed in on auto mode.

Does anyone have an idea where I should be looking? I'm pretty experienced with doing this sort of work and was very careful working on it but obviously not careful enough. Should I leave it on for 30 mins to see if it kicks in and hence has the high resistance fault or would the high input have eliminated this?

Thanks!

Continued HERE

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom