1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef ps2500 vs Servo 15

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fred123go, Mar 2, 2004.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yo,
    well as i was thinking of getting the Kef 5005 speaker package the only way of getting it is as a package, for the moment anyway, which comes with the kef ps2500 sub or something. I might just in the short run keep this and sale my servo, as i could really do with the cash as i am finishing work soon.
    Now just how bad would this kef sub compare with my servo?i do really like the servo but it certainly doesn't look as nice as the kef and i as i said i could really do with the extra cash.
    And then perhaps get another job in the summer-work all summer and replace it with 2 servos then.
    cheers
    fred
    p.s the main thing i am looking for is that the servo has nice slam, will the kef slam compare in any way and i suppose i can handle things not going all that deep for a few months
    p.s.s but then again servos are rare to find as most of the owners wish to keep them-and understandably so

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Fred

Not selling yer lovely M&Ks?

Looking at the specs on the sub it doesn't look too impressive

Specifications
    PSW2500

Drive Units
    closed box
    250 mm (10in.)

Frequency range
    30 Hz - 150 Hz

Amplifier
    250W

Weight
    14.5 kg (31.9 lbs)

Versus 15" driver, 400W and sub 20Hz on the Servo.

I know specs don't say everything but this soundsmore like a mid woofer to me.

Nicer looking though

Chris

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not many people have heard the new 5005 package but you have so I'm not quite sure why you are asking for opinions of people who haven't heard it when you have alread said that you want to buy it

It sounds like you want some re-assurance that you are doing the right thing by "upgrading" your M&K and Paradigm Servo system for a KEF speaker package.

I haven't heard this setup but have just looked at the KEF website and have seen that the subwoofer is a rather nice piece of furniture that would grace anyone's lounge.

Will it have the depth, slam and low distortion high SPL level of your Servo 15 - you know as well as I do that it won't, just by looking at the stats on the website.

4. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    600w on the servo as it is the 15a model, god when i get my pioneer this saturday i reckon i will reconsider, still yet to watch my new batch of dvds, one film i would like to watch with the servo is finding nemo-apparently some good low scenes in that.
    I don't think it will be worthwhile at all selling my servo, but i will be selling my M&K's. they are great speakers for people who like that sound, i have decided however i prefer the kef sound.
    I am in no hurry though, as the M&K's still are very very good speakers and i will wait till the kef's are sold seperately.
    Then another servo to follow in the summer, i would just prefer a little less distortion as i do like my bass to be loud, at half way on the back of the sub i set my x-30 controller at -34 to about -30.
    i suppose the kef wouldn't really be in the same league at all with the servo
    cheers
    fred

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and ian i am not looking for people's opinions to back up my decision, i am confident that the 5005's are the speakers for my pretty small room. I was very impressed at bristol and again i am going to sevenoaks et al to have another listen to confirm what i already have heard.
    i was looking for feedback on previous experiences with kef subs, having looked at previous posts it doesn't look to favourable.
    also at bristol i don't even think the subwoofer was plugged in, i swear the subs they were using was not the 2500.
    fred

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've recently demoed the psw2500 in my home.
    The one i got was in the light maple finish and as soon as i got it out the box, the misses feel in love with it.......i must admit that it was better looking than the SVS bin and a LOT smaller.
    I played with it for about 3 days, both with music and movies.
    I kept changing from the KEF to the SVS (it gets quite heavy after about the 3rd move) and it did work quite well..........it kept up very good with music as well (i tried it with, sex pistols, missy elliot, stevie wonder, extreme, queen and a few others) which is quite hard with sub's in that price bracket.
    But it just was not quite, what the SVS was.
    I tried the ol favorites, The Haunting, Titan AE.......it done quite well with the haunting, but had no chance with titan.
    It was a bit more boomy than the SVS but that might of been down to placement.
    But it has made me realise just how good my SVS is.
    You would deffenetly notice the difference if you went from the Servo to the Kef, but you would also get a lot of room back.

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    I believe they're all 400watt.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    All Servos are the same amp wise 400w ish, can't remember exact number offhand, thought 450w though. The a in 15a indicates a different surround to stop rotting in tropical climes, irrelevant here. 600w figure is tosh, there has never been a 600w servo, salesman bull****.

Re distortion. I doubt you will hear any difference re distortion between one Servo 15a sub and a second, it is just too low a value at any level. You might hear benefits from other reasons like room acoustics with a second sub though. Distortion certainly benefits but are at levels below those you can detect with your ears.

These subs singly deal with distortion issues, the second sub attempts to deal better with room acoustics. This is why I promoted this approach. Same reasoning for SVS etc etc

Chalk and cheese come to mind here with the KEFs however, it might not look pretty to everyone but Servo 15a works, many subs can't say that, even expensive ones.

KEF subs are just not in the same league IMHO even the biggies and I have currently > 14 KEF speakers here so I am a bit of a KEF fan :)

Be fully aware why you are changing and make sure it is a decision you are happy with.

10. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about the svs 20-39 pci? how will this perform on a carpeted floor?i can get one of these imported for around 500 quid inc importing and duty etc and i should take advantage of the strong pound.
    cheers
    fred

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The SVS subs have built in base plates that they fire down into so the carpet is neither here nor there.

You know my feelings that they are excellent subs at a bargain price with the dollar so weak but as you already have a Servo 15 I don't know why you would want one :confused:

12. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i still have a lot of calibrating of the servo to do, i was justy wondering how in your honest opinion the svs will compare to the servo.
    I haven't actually watched a whole movie with the servo yet, projectorless, so i can't wait for that. Hopefully by next weekend i will have the kef package PLUS the kef sub and the servo so i will be able to do side by side comparisons.
    My room is not exactly subwoofer friendly, i think i will need to get a bfd to sort out a few problems at different frequencies.
    btw i just had a thought but are movies actually recorded below 20hz?if not then what is the point of having a subwoofer that goes lower than 20hz?just wondered
    cheers
    fred

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    KEF, Paradigm, SVS........ you have an good sub why do you want to change, is it just the looks?

14. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no i was going to keep the kef and sale the servo to sale a few hundred quid as i really could do with the money.
    the svs was just a thought, of which i have many :)
    fred

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am guessing but I think that whilst the Servo 15 and 20-39 PC Plus are probably roughly equal in performance, the pci has a less powerful amp, a different driver and isn't as flexible with port tuning as the PC Plus can be retuned to 16Hz or 12Hz by plugging ports.

Many films don't have LFE much below 20 Hz but then you would miss those special moments in U571, The Haunting, Finding Nemo. Toy Story 2 and others like that.

16. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    For movie's there was no difference in my room, between the servo and the SVS, but for music, i felt that the Servo, just edged it......it seemed tighter than the SVS.
    Of course this is comparing the servo to the 20-39 PC+ and this was in my room, so could be different in another room.
    Dont know if it would be the same with the PCi model..........perhaps not, seeing as the PCi model is suppose to be the next level down from the PC+.

I would say, if you are not to bothered about the room that the Servo takes up (you could do with a bigger room really, for the Servo) then keep it, as i recon that unless you go for the PC+ model or above, you aint ganner be a happy chappy.

Get the Kef 2500, have a play, you will then hear/feel the difference and then you will sell the Kef.
    Keep the Servo and stop thinking, maybe this could be better or that could be better.

Give it about 3-4 months and you will be wishing that you'd have kept your M+K's and not got the Kefs.....:laugh:

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    I have 2 of em in a 7.5' x 15' room:eek: :D

18. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yea, but that's because your just......Crazy:p :zonked:

And you hearings going, now your getting on a bit.....:)

19. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no chris matt is not crazy, the subs work superbly in his room. That is the kind of bass i am after in my room when i get 2 servos.
    cheers
    fred

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Fred - I thought I was bad but you are all over the place mate !! If your looking for the kind of bass two servo 15's provide then your certainly heading down the wrong route.

Not sure why you changing your speakers again - I assume it due to aesthetics as I cant see the components of the 5005 system competing with what you already have. Maybe I'm wrong and Kef have produced something very special.

21. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe KEF have produced something special with these speakers, while i will be gettign slightly less performance i will be getting a better lookign system, the lovely ax10i and kef's will make my room a lot nicer, the black M&K's and the scary looking rotels and the not so nice lexicon just didn't really do it for me.
    shame about the servo :), but i will be getting the kef package with the sub so i will compare them in my room. If the difference isn't THAT dramatic i will be selling servo-but if it is definately noticeable then i will sell kef. This will be over a whole weekend of testing.
    will let you guys know how i get on
    fred :)