1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef PS2010 Vs PB12-ISD

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevefish69, Aug 11, 2005.

1. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Since upgrading from eggs to Kef Q4 and XQ2C, the tiny sub that came with the egg's seems to be lacking slightly.

My room is 4.8m * 3.4m so its not the largest in the world. I'm trying to convince the missus that the SVS would be a good buy, as i have the chance to buy one second hand.

Would it really make that much difference that is as noticeable as going from the Egg to XQ2c say, as even she has a smile on her face watching "Robbie"

Any idea how much a second hand 2010 would go? It had a new amp board 6 months ago fitted by Kef.

2. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    theres a 2010 on ebay at the moment standing at £141.00 but not finished yet

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There would be a huge difference in the sound between the KEF and the SVS sub. The former was designed to fill in the lower mid and upper bass that a satellite would have difficulty with whilst the SVS is a true sub bass speaker that will reproduce low notes that you probably didn't know existed before.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    The PB12-1SD would be a major upgrade,indeed any svs sub would bring smiles to your face along with a thump in the chest and guts when you have it set up correctly.

Am I correct that the sub you are looking at is on these forums for sale at the moment.At £410 I think that you could do better,I recently paid £420 for a 20-39PC+ which is a considerable upgrade to the PB12.There was also a PB12-1SD/2 (twin driver) that went for around £410 recently which is also a big step up from the PB12 single driver.

You could buy a new PB10-1SD for around £400 which is not much down on spec of the PB12.I would not personally pay more than £350 ish for the PB12-1SD second hand as they are only around £500 new.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    Infact Mark Ward a member of these forums may have a 20-39PC+ comming up for sale soon as he was the person who bought the PB12-ISD/2 recently and was saying he would probably be selling his PC+ within a few weeks.

I would think you could get this sub for £400-£450 which is a much better sub than the PB12-ISD maybe you should pm him and ask.

6. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I was actually after a cylinder sub as it would fit better in my room. I might wait and see what comes up.

This will be my last upgrade for a long time. I'm sure the missus will make sure of that, so i'd better get it right 1st time.

Thanks for the response people :smashin:

Steve

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    You do realise that Mark Wards pc+ is a cylinder and he may be looking to sell it.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    kbfern

It's fascinating to hear the PB12 being relegated to the reserves in comparison with a PC+. May one presume that you have heard both in the same room? With both properly calibrated and position optimised? I'm sure many people here would like to hear your opinions on the pecking-order of these two subs. Box v cylinder must be one of the most difficult decisions for a budding SVS owner. You also made some direct comparisons with the entry-level PB10-ISD which many will find interesting.

Nimby

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,120
    I agree I have not heard the PB12 but must assume that the plus driver to be superior as what would be the point of making a plus driver or indeed an Ultra driver and also the amp is much more powerfull.

As to box vs cylinder it is wideley reported by svs there is no differenc.I am no expert other than having heard the PB10 and owning the PC+ and hearing/feeling a great difference between these two units.

As to the PB10 I was merely stating that you could buy a new PB10 for what was being asked for the used PB12 and also making stevefish aware that PC+ and PB-ISD/2's have been available on this forum recently for around £400-£450.

As to the pecking order goes you explain it as you seem to know it all.

10. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Calm down people. Thanks for the comments from all of you. I really would prefer the Cylinder, as this would fit in with my sub position now. I've done the PM to Mark so fingers crossed.

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I will (almost certainly) be selling my 2039 PC+ in the next week or so. What's delaying me is getting the correct setup on the PB2-ISD I've replaced it with. Locating and setting up a sub takes a lot of time and I've yet to get the PB2 positioned to perform better than the 2039PC+ did in my opinion.

Matt Horne, NFordEnfield and Embarker have all been over to my place and all reckon that the new sub is an upgrade already. For me the 2039 still has the edge. I know It's only down to placement as the new sub has 2 x the same driver as the one it replaces but until I get it sussed the 2039 stays with me.

I did consider running both but early trials haven't been very succesful.

I reckon another week should sort it, then the 2039 goes (though you may have to prize it from my fingers).

Mark.

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Mark
    I found when i brought my pb12 ultra-2 it was much harder to intergrate than my old pc+ cylinder thats why in the end i changed to the pc-ultra which in my room i got to sound much better than the monster ultra,mind you in your massive room you shouldnt have as much trouble as what i did. :)

13. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I'm hoping that when i do get a SVS that it won't be too overpowering in our small'ish room. Think that i've finally convinced the missus that it'll be a good buy as she's agreed to lend me some holiday money :thumbsup:

There should be enough difference between old & new to bring a smile to our faces with all the good stuff i've read on here about them.

Steve

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Steve
    A cylinder sub will sound great in your room size no worries.