1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF owner needs to complete 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TimDoyle, May 24, 2005.

1. TimDoyle

TimDoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody!

I'm trying to turn a 2.0 system with KEF 105/3 speakers into a 5.1 system and am looking for recommendations on how to best accomplish this. I'm guessing that the best way to timbre-match my speakers is to stay with the KEF brand, but I am open to alternative sugggestions.
    If I do stick with KEF, however, which line do you think I should be looking at? The people at KEF say I should get the 201's for surrounds and the 204c for centre-channel, but I suspect that they're just saying that because those are the most expensive options. Other forums I visit suggest the Cresta series, but I am having a hard time finding anybody in the US who carries these.
    My original thought was to get center and surrounds from either the Q or XQ series, but these are also hard for me to find. I also don't see many people reviewing them (particularly the XQ series), so I wonder if this is an avenue even worth pursuing. Any thoughts?

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim

As you can see I am a Kef fan and can highly recommend them. In the USA you are lucky enough to be able to get the Q10c, which I think will make a fine centre, however some consider it too expensive compared the Q9c. To be honest I havent heard the 105's so cant comment on matching but dont see why it should be a problem. For surrounds, consider the Q1 or even the Q2ds if you like a diffuse surround. Speaker choice will also depend on the Amp you have, the reference series (201 and 204c) are power hungry, whereas the Q series are less so and more efficient.
    Hope I was of some help

Skinny

3. TimDoyle

TimDoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the reason I was drawn to this board is that there seems to be more KEF fans here.
    Well, expense isn't quite the issue I might have made it seem in my original post. I am just looking for the expense to be justified. If the Reference series, for example, is that much better than the XQ or Q series, I have no problem paying a little more for it.
    Denon 3805 (I'm not sure if this is powerful enough or not)
    Not only that, the 204C weighs a ton!!! Where does anybody place this thing? I'd be afraid to rest this behemoth on top of my aging Sony TV, but I can't figure out another place for it to go. This is actually one of the reasons I started looking at the non-Reference lines.

Yes, very much so. Thanks for responding. Other people I have talked to also recommended the Q speakers, and researching them on the KEF website is what led me to the XQ series, which nobody outside of KEF seems to talk about. What I'm trying to figure out is if this is because they're no good, or just not that much better than the Q's. Or if you're going to upgrade from the Q's, you might as well go straight to the Reference and skip the middle line. What do you think?

4. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If I were you I'd get a 200c on ebay (actually there is just one running now if you hurry up) and maybe some Reference One-Two or even Two-Two for the rear. Older models will match your speakers better than the newer ones. Depending if you use SACD and DVD Audio much or prefer movies you could also go for dipole for surround such as the TDM34DS, which you'll also find on Ebay.

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Q9c is adequate for most systems (I would conservatively say <75 inch screen size)
    Q1s are puny as mains but surprisingly capable
    My Q2DS are very very good and totally wasted as rear surrounds - but they become side surrounds when I move in three weeks time ;)
    Q5s I have yet to try, but they should do the business

It seems you have a somewhat bigger budget than I though, so my advice prob not much help!!!

6. TimDoyle

TimDoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPK :

Thanks, but if I get new ones I can always return them if I don't like them. If I don't like the older ones I'm kinda screwed.

SeanT

Your advice was definitely helpful, it looks like the Q series might be the way to go. I'm still trying to figure out why nobody talks about the XQ series, though.

7. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That Denon should be more than capable. As for placing the 204c, the only way I could see you doing it is to place it on a dedicated centre speaker stand. Not always ideal if space and kids are a consideration. Otherwise place it on a large enough AV rack ??

Glad to be of assistance

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    TimDoyle

I'd listen to the folk at KEF - I believe you'll find the current Reference series will be a better match with your 105/3.

I'd also have to say your not hearing the full potential of your 105/3 if your using an AV Receiver to drive them; the KEF loudspeakers will benefit from better processing and amplification for Stereo and Movie reproduction.

The same goes with the XQ and Reference Series - you need better Processing and Amplification before its makes sense to add them to your system.

Its a tough call - building a system for Movies and Stereo that fully exploits the 105/3 could be pretty expensive; and your room is going to play a big part in deciding how much 'loudspeaker' you can actually fit in there.

I'd start with a fresh slate and go listen to a full Q series 5:1 system with your current AV Receiver then try a more upmarket Processor/Power Amp combination with the Q Series.

Use that as your 'reference' - if it does what you want then go with it and replace the 105/3 and AVR-3805; if not then your into a whole different ball game.

Best regards

Joe

9. TimDoyle

TimDoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

:(

Joe, I wish I had talked to you in January before I bought the 3805. Now I'm kind of stuck with it for a while.

Even though I couldn't do this for a while, would you care to offer any suggestions on what I should get? I really love those 105's so they would be pretty hard for me to give up.

You got that right! One of the reasons I was shying away from the Reference 201 for surrounds is that they are just a little too big for the space I want to put them. I guess that's why I keep on coming back to the XQ 1; they would fit perfectly. I know that's a terrible reason to purchase a speaker, and that's kind of why I am soliciting opinions on how these things sound.

10. harol

harol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the KEF KHT 9000 ACE series as surrounds? or the new 6000 ACE? It's the same elements as in the XQ series in the 9000 series. I have the 9000s as fronts (LRC) and they are superb. I'm gonna use the 2001s x 4 as surrouds in my 7.1 setup (soon to be completed in basement).

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello TimDoyle

Tricky one building a system around the 105/3. I guess there are two schools you could go with as you 'build' your system.

Not everyone with a decent pair of full range 'HiFi' loudspeakers believes you actually require a Centre Channel - I don't have an AVR-3805 user manual to hand but I imagine you can set it to produce a 'Phantom' Centre channel using your Front LR only.

The second school of thought is that the Centre is possibly the most important speaker in a 5:1 set-up to achieve decent dialogue - that being so then the XQ2c is probably your starting point for something to 'voice' with your 105/3.

A third option which may be worth pursuing is to consider the Martin Logan Cinema i - quite a different design (though like the 105/3 its a 6ohm load) from the KEF's though a sound I'm pretty sure will marry well with your KEF's.

See http://www.martinlogan.com/cinema_i_speaker.html

If the Martin Logan (ML) Cinema i does work in your room then the on-wall Fresco or Vignette from ML may work well as your side surrounds.

If you stick with KEF for a Centre and the XQ2c does the trick with Movies then a pair of ML as above could again work well as surrounds or Q2ds Dipoles are worth investigating - don't go with the entry level KHT 'eggs' or similar; its wrong to assume you don't have to pay much attention to surrounds in a high quality movie system.

I'm not so sure either if the XQ1 are really intended as a 'surround' loudspeaker - more a stand mounted Front pair.

For a sub in a small(ish) room I'd look to a Velodyne SPL for a great sound in a small box.

Best regards

Joe

12. harol

harol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are refering to me regarding the KHT series, I didn't suggest he used KHT eggs, but rather the 9000s as surrounds. They use same elements as XQ series and are 700 a piece plus stands so wouldn't say they are cheap.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Harol

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular - just a warning not to get sucked into the 'surrounds don't matter' mentality.

The KHT9000ACE may be another option for the surrounds.

Best regards

Joe