1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF MkII eggs and B&W - again

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by roadtorode, Jun 4, 2003.

1. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm being forced to downsize my speakers/stands to appease the wife, and the save the kids from serious injury ! I have been allowed to retain my MJAcoustics Pro 50 sub !! I therefore need to buy to good quality sats without breaking the bank (hopefully by sell off my old bits). The amp is only a Marantz SR4200, so we're not in the big league here....

So, for general TV, DVD and CD listening, in a smallish lounge, will the Kef MKII eggs plus the MJ acoustics pro50 be a good solution ? I had originally planned to go for the B&Ws, but when I saw their size in my local dealer, I was shocked to say the least ! Unfortunately he on has Mk1s so I couldn't demo yet.

And if they can be had for £399, I must be a winner. Probably! Would any existing user of these new eggs please make some reassuring (or otherwise) noises !

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm sure that it will be a sad day when the Dynaudios go. The Eggs will go well with your Pro 50 sub but if you want to keep costs done why not just buy the front three and keep the Eltax rears, as presumably they are mounted safely out of harms way.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No way would I downgrade, I'll rather have a divorce! :)

Anyway, you could try some high quality in wall speakers, or maybe wall mount high quality bookshelfs.

4. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the rears are swallowing space and posing a child-bashing threat, so they're on the for-sale list too ! The new rears will have to be high/wall/ceiling mounted if I can crack the cabling problems; this is one reason why the size of the B&Ws is a problem and pushing towards the KEFs

As for the divorce, I have to accept it would be too expensive; a waste of potential upgrade money !! And anyway, think of the brownie-points I'm earning by allowing my beloved kit to be sacrificed at the alter of family life...

Incidentally, I can verify that the contruction of the Dynaudios is top-notch; when they were pushed from the stands and hit the fireplace, the fireplace came off worse ! Actually, if the eggs can be had for £399, then maybe I could just tuck the Dynaudios into the loft for a few years....

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a similar choice to make. Not especially pushed for space just needed to get them out of the way of the kids!!

I demo'd the Kef'd MK1&2 and must say that the MK2's were WAY better than the 1's. Better clarity and better base.

I ended up going for the B&W's with an upgraded ASW675 and I must say the sound is amazing and IMHO a massive improvement over the Kefs (almost twice the price as well!!).

Once the speakers were set up on the wall they looked great and even my wife loves them!!

I must say that I spent weeks and weeks deliberating and asking advice but in the end I just had to go with what my heart/ears said (lets not forget that all of this is an emational choice as well as a practical sounds good type choice!).

Good luck at least my pain is over now!!

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi supernosh
    Did you manage to reposition your subwoofer.?
    Gonzo.

7. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've just purchased the mk2's and I absolutely love them. They look great sound superb and are easy to mount.
    Even the wife thinks they are amazing.
    The build quality is also superb( you should feel the weight on them)

8. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to turn it slightly which seems to have made a difference. That is all the repossitioning I can do as it is in a fairly tight spot in the corner behind the TV!!