1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef MK2 Eggs... a backward step?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dear Mr Echo, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi
    I am currently thinking of doing a bit of sideways upgrading to my system and have been considering changing my speakers to the Mk2 Eggs (possibly with the sub package) based purely on reviews, word of mouth and their size - they would make positioning of everything in my living room much more flexible when I finally manage to get a projector.

My current set up is...
    Sony STRDB830 receiver - though I have just bought a Denon 2802 from the classifieds.
    Fronts: Mission 703 huge floorstanders
    Centre: Mission 73C
    Rears: Mission 731's I think - There is no model number on them but that's what the box says.
    Sub: Paradigm PDR10

All the above is pretty budget equipment, the most expensive thing being the 703's. The rears were relegated from front duty in my first Pro-logic set up (the centre hasn't been upgraded... ever). Does anyone think that the Kefs would be a backward or forward step in terms of sound quality. I'm undecided whether to go for six eggs and keep the Paradigm for now - though someone suggested replacing the PDR10 with a Velodyne - or to get the full Kef sub/sat set. Anyone got any opinions?

I, well my good lady really, doesn't want to spend too much money, though she seemed quite keen on the Kefs from a size/aesthetic point of view.

cheer
    Andrew

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't suppose that the sound will be better or worse but it will be very different and for that reason you should listen to it before parting with your cash.

The setup seems to be well regarded and the sub has been beefed up so there is no reason to buy a different sub.