Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

kef, mission, mordaunt short or canton?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mutt Lee, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mutt Lee

Mutt Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am putting together a system, primarily for surround audio only, but will also use for home cinema. Any tips on the surround speakers for the following, currently theoretical, system?
    dvd/cd/sacd/dvd-a Pioneer dvd 575a or marantz dv 6500
    receiver/amp - marantz sr7400

The speaker options are the following
    Kef kht1005
    Canton ct1
    Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere System
    Mission cinema m30 5.1

Another option is to use the eltax or yamaha ns10s that I already have as the front pair and add to that.

If anyone knows of a shop in London where I could listen to these setups, then that would be really useful.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the value for money prize goes to the Cantons if you import them from Germany.

They aren't even in the same league as the baby kefs.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,799
    Mutt

You seem to be asking the same question I have been doing without much success. In particular I've been looking at the Mission M30 vs Kef 1005. Here is what two Hi-Fi stores have advised:

Sevenoaks Sound and Vision - "Go with the Kefs, the Missions are terrible, won't even have them in my shop anymore"

Creative Audio, Shropshire - "The Missions will wipe the floor with the Kef 1005s. The Celestion 305s are very good and also if you are prepared to up your budget so are the Kef 2005s"

I appreciate opinions are personal, but I find it very difficult to relate to such extremely opposing views.

In a perfect world I would audition them but in reality I've not find a store with stock or been prepared to demo them.

Big Adam

You obviously have experience with the Kef 1005s - do you know how they compare with the Mission M30?

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    I've been looking at the same kind of speakers and as far as I've been told the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus is the best sounding for the money.

The Cantons do get good reviews but I have also seem some very average reviews.

The Missions are also very good but I think the MS pip them to the post.

I am also looking at the Celestion AVP305s - difficult to find but apparently Superfi have some in stock in their stores (but not on their site).

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No experience with the Missions which is why I did not comment on them.

Don't get me wrong about the Kef 1005s. They are possibly the most wife-friendly surround speaker set on the market. But that is their limit. It is most definitely form over function. Passable for moderate cinema experience but there is no way you would use them for stereo use.

Seriously seriously take a long look at the Canton CD1 set. Thread here

Not as pretty as the 1005's but at the price they are selling them in Germany they are a steal. They take a long time to run-in, which I think explains the odd average review, but a little patience is rewarded.