Answered Kef LSX whine?

spuddly2019

Novice Member
Reaction score
Have any other KEF LSX owners experienced a faint but noticeable whine coming from the back hole of their speakers? Only when in stand-by.
Just noticed the other day while sitting at home in relative quite.

It's like a constant high-low-high-low, very high frequency whine, and very annoying!

Reported to Kef support twice but sadly no reply.

Video: https://photos.app.******/erGm4shE1oVnBFvQ8
Sorry about moving the camera round lots, I'm not sure where the mic is on my phone! :)

For some reason I can't edit to change the link to YouTube.
Same video:

Definitely something happening there. Power supply, amplifier possibly. Give Kef a call on 01622 672261. I dealt with them very recently and found them hugely helpful.

Definitely something happening there. Power supply, amplifier possibly. Give Kef a call on 01622 672261. I dealt with them very recently and found them hugely helpful.

Ok thanks, appreciate the back up! Will give them a call

Are both speakers plugged into the same socket? If not, try that and see if the noise goes.

Last edited:
I had two sets of these, and listened to another in the shop. All made horrible high pitched noises when either on or off. When turned off the slave made the alternating sound you described, on both sets, and I could sometimes hear it from 2m away. Both left and right made a whole array of whiney noises when on. Some of the crazy sounds were even in sync with the LEDs changing, and all of them came from the electronics, not just hiss from the drivers.

Such a shame! I loved them, but there's no way I could keep something that makes noises like that, as I live in a small space. Hopefully they'll make another revision and fix this issue.

I had two sets of these, and listened to another in the shop. All made horrible high pitched noises when either on or off. When turned off the slave made the alternating sound you described, on both sets, and I could sometimes hear it from 2m away. Both left and right made a whole array of whiney noises when on. Some of the crazy sounds were even in sync with the LEDs changing, and all of them came from the electronics, not just hiss from the drivers.

Such a shame! I loved them, but there's no way I could keep something that makes noises like that, as I live in a small space. Hopefully they'll make another revision and fix this issue.

Mines totally silent so maybe I'm lucky. God speakers for the size/price.

Just bought a pair of these and while connecting everything up in a quiet room, the second the power cable went in I could hear the whine. EXACTLY as you described. On or off.

Did you get any resolution?

Just bought a pair of these and while connecting everything up in a quiet room, the second the power cable went in I could hear the whine. EXACTLY as you described. On or off.

Did you get any resolution?

Hi
Yes, I did speak to someone knowledgeable at KEF eventually.
He was going to some lengths to say there was no problem, but there could be a problem, and if there was, I could send them back - no problem :) .

He said they "weren't aware of an issue", but a small part on the capacitor could be damaged or imperfectly manufactured, and that was leading to the oscillating sound when the power is off.

He was very cheery and said it's fine with them if I send them back today or in 14 months, it's got a 2 year warranty, they want me to be happy and if I find it bothers me then I should send them back, but it's up to me.

It sounded to me like they do know there's an issue, they're just hoping most people won't notice. If the speakers are bought as a gift for a rich teenager or something I'd understand that, but most people have spent their own money and won't be happy with the level of noise.

I intend to send mine back soon.. just a faff eh. :/

PS. That is odd you get the whine when it's On or Off. That might indicate that it's not an issue with the capacitor stepping down for standby? I'm far from an electrical engineer though. Maybe post a video if you get a chance?

Woah that sounds like too much! I only get what you described when they're off, and as you say it can be heard from 2m away, and further.

I use these in my office and I do experience the whine with mine when they are first turned on, it was annoying but it does go away after about 5-10 minutes. Not sure if it's a matter of the speakers "warming up". Though I am challenged when it comes to electrical engineering. Has this been the case with anyone else? I'm running through my MacBook Air with an Audioquest DragonFly DAC and Audioquest Jitterbug for noise reduction, perhaps redundant but it seems to work.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom