KEF LSX Smart Active Loudpeaker Review & Comments

Yep, agree with much of this review. Bought mine direct from KEF on day they were released (before any reviews) and loved them ever since.

I have mine connected to my gaming PC via 3.5mm, my PS4Pro via optical & for music use Spotify Premium (via Spotify Connect then just controlled via Spotify phone app. Phone app can even turn them on & control volume).

Have not needed to use the KEF Apps at all unless I want to stream some music off my NAS (rare). I do use cabled connection between speakers (not tried them wireless). Also have my connected via ethernet to network. If you ignore the App concerns (I rarely need to use Apps) they are a 10/10 from me.

I've also used as a Roon endpoint with Tidal with no issues at all, even MQA Masters.

Best speakers of this size I've ever owned.

My setup
1009183-8849825acd37b11f6859bccf8ea01a55.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Psikey, they look tiny, what size monitors are they in your piccie? They don't suffer not being on dedicated stands then? I was thinking I might just put them on my TV cabinet. Is there a sub you'd recommend, as I'm new to these types of speakers. I'm looking to replace my Q acoustics M4 soundbar which has been good, would these be markedly better? Cheers, Phil.

Ed, you might want to consider changing your reasoning here, as it doesn't make sense:
As well as conventional network audio, the LSX also supports Spotify and Tidal internally. There is no Tidal Masters support, which is a bit of a shame given they are included in the price of the basic subscription. One reason for this is that if you make a wireless connection to the LSX, it will downconvert incoming signals greater than 24/48 to this figure anyway.
TIDAL's online server supplies its MQA supporting client devices with MQA masters tracks at their standard undecoded/distribution resolution of either 24/44.1kHz or 24/48kHz, so should be streamable wirelessly by the LSX. It's one of MQA's MSPs that the MQA client device decodes the MQA file tracks, so saving on the amount of data being streamed over the internet!

Great review Ed. :smashin: I do love the idea of these speakers.

I’ve been investigating them, and can’t find a definitive answer as to whether the sub out has a bypass function for the LSX drivers?

Anyone have any better info’?

Seems not alas

Quite a good usability review from John Darko here, he already has the LS50 Wireless to compare.

Short version: most of the good stuff of the LS50 W for a bit less. Audio performance is excellent, although more suited to smaller room/desktop/soundbar-replacement duties than as a true hi-fi replacement.

Hi Psikey, they look tiny, what size monitors are they in your piccie? They don't suffer not being on dedicated stands then? I was thinking I might just put them on my TV cabinet. Is there a sub you'd recommend, as I'm new to these types of speakers. I'm looking to replace my Q acoustics M4 soundbar which has been good, would these be markedly better? Cheers, Phil.

I was originally going for LS50W but too big for the room. The LSX may look small but they are mighty.

I just have mine on yoga blocks and sound sublime.

I dont feel I need a woofer as base is great already. If I was using with my big TV in main lounge I'd likely be going for the KEF Kube 8b.

Both 27" monitors. One a 1440p Asus Rog Swift 165Hz G-sync, the other a 4K HDR.

Last edited:
Great review Ed. :smashin: I do love the idea of these speakers.

I’ve been investigating them, and can’t find a definitive answer as to whether the sub out has a bypass function for the LSX drivers?

Anyone have any better info’?

Seems not alas

If I understand your question correctly, if you connect a suitable sub the LSX offloads base to the sub and uses the LSX for mid & treble. Option in KEF app for adding external sub.

Hi Ed,
Enjoyed the review, just wondering as you also reviewed the SVS prime wireless speakers, which £400 less, how close are they in terms of performance to the Kef’s.

I’m currently running Q acoustics BT-3 with a Rel t-zero hence looking at upgrade options, the speakers will be positioned very close to the back wall on stands.

Thanks

It doesn't matter how good they sound, If the app is not very good with these speakers, then it spoils the whole usability function, an app is very important to access your music.

It doesn't matter how good they sound, If the app is not very good with these speakers, then it spoils the whole usability function, an app is very important to access your music.

Personally don't agree with this in respect to the LSX at least how i've been using them. I used the app for 5 minutes during the initial setup and not touched it since.

Personally don't agree with this in respect to the LSX at least how i've been using them. I used the app for 5 minutes during the initial setup and not touched it since.
Dredging this up from the dead since it is the official thread. I spent the best part of an hour today trying to connect WiFi but was eventually forced to give in and plug a LAN cable in. Years later the problem of initial connection and setup exists. Also as well reported upping the volume is also a chore, even using Harmony. The sound is OK once going but the overall experience is not what you expect for a supposedly “luxury” item.

Dredging this up from the dead since it is the official thread. I spent the best part of an hour today trying to connect WiFi but was eventually forced to give in and plug a LAN cable in. Years later the problem of initial connection and setup exists. Also as well reported upping the volume is also a chore, even using Harmony. The sound is OK once going but the overall experience is not what you expect for a supposedly “luxury” item.
Well I guess it all boils down to if you know what you are doing or not. I had no problems setting up at all :)

Well I guess it all boils down to if you know what you are doing or not. I had no problems setting up at all :)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Bollox.

Do some reading and then come back and try to say that with a straight face.

You're talking Bollox mate :D I had no problems setting mine up. Go figure !

You're talking Bollox mate :D I had no problems setting mine up. Go figure !
Just because you had no problems does not mean that others did not. It is widely reported about the instability and poor performance of the original control app and the sluggish unreliable nature of the stream app. The very review this thread is based upon mentions as much about the stream app and it is listed as a "con". The only way I could get mine to reliably connect to my LAN was by using a cable. Go figure!

Lol maybe you need to buy the Dummies guide ! :D Dont bother replying you obviously have anger problems lol !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom