KEF LSX + Blu Tooth Turntable - sensible or not?

droogiefret

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having lost my old hi-fi setup over the years I bought a pair of KEF LSX's. I can stream from Spotify and the sound is really good to my ears.

But I still have a rack of old LPs and I was considering a bluetooth turntable to pair with the KEFs.

So my question is, will it be worth it or would I be better investing in a more analogue hi fi system?

It occurs to me that by the time the signal has blue toothed to the KEFs it will be digital and I'll have effectively converted my LPs to DVDs. Will my ears notice anyway? I'd probably go for a mid priced turntable if that makes any difference.

Any advice or experience welcomed.

I would buy a turntable with built in phono stage and hardwire to the kefs if it was me

I would buy a turntable with built in phono stage and hardwire to the kefs if it was me
Oh - of course. Then I'd only be using the Kefs as simple powered speakers. Yes, thank you, I'll check out options. I notice some people sell a turntable/KEF package - I should probably have checked that out in the first place.

If you like the Spotify sound, you will probably like the Blutooth turntable as well.

Both are compressed and lossy, but again, if you are used with them and like them, your ears wouldn’t know what’s missing. Hope this doesn’t come out arrogant, that’s not my intent at all.

Also, the LSX are relatively small speakers, they’re great but not full range. They will also “mask” a bit of what is missing.

For speakers I would suggest the non Meta version (if cost is an issue, otherwise go Meta) of the KEF LS-50, wireless or not. If non-active, you can get a nice Yamaha amp S-A500 or 700 for phono stage and drive.

As far as TT, a Pro-Ject Carbon Evo is really really great sounding. The Sumiko cartdrige that comes with it is really good not only at playing, but also at masking disk pops.

If you like the Spotify sound, you will probably like the Blutooth turntable as well.

Both are compressed and lossy, but again, if you are used with them and like them, your ears wouldn’t know what’s missing. Hope this doesn’t come out arrogant, that’s not my intent at all.

Also, the LSX are relatively small speakers, they’re great but not full range. They will also “mask” a bit of what is missing.

For speakers I would suggest the non Meta version (if cost is an issue, otherwise go Meta) of the KEF LS-50, wireless or not. If non-active, you can get a nice Yamaha amp S-A500 or 700 for phono stage and drive.

As far as TT, a Pro-Ject Carbon Evo is really really great sounding. The Sumiko cartdrige that comes with it is really good not only at playing, but also at masking disk pops.
Thank you - a few components for me to check out!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom