Kef ls50's (amp choices)

Kirky1980

Standard Member
Hi all ok always wanted a set of these and finally finished all the house improvements and may now be able to afford something like these, I like them as small and sounded really nice, can anyone advise on what amplifier to pair these with and I would just like to run USB and iPhone on this but if cd sounds better then also options for this also as I really don't know a lot when it comes to stereo stuff at all, obviously don't want to spend a fortune but will look at all options advised and generally I start at a cheap budget and end up spending way too much lol also I don't mind secondhand stuff :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
The ovious choices would be the Rokscan kandy K2, Arcam FMJ A19 or an Audiolab 8200A. None of these will include a built in DAC and or a USB input.

Kirky1980

Standard Member
Ok thanks I was looking at these speakers a while ago maybe a year ago but too many things came up and had to give them a miss but now I'm re thinking about them and wondered if there was any other choices for amp's etc and I'm sure u helped me last time Dante which helped alot :)
I'm still really surprised there isn't many amps etc with USB and stuff these days or do just stereo people prefer the cd option and hard drives etc

dante01

Distinguished Member
There are a few stereo integrated amplifiers with inbuilt DACs and some of them do also include a USB input. Not all of them are as good as the best integrated stereo amps that lack such features.

The Rotel AR11 has an inbuilt DAC and a USB input, although the USB input is on its front fascia. There's also the Yamaha RN500 network receiver which is specifically targeted at those wanting to access audio over a home network. The RN500 includes all the usual inputs you'd expect to find on a conventional stereo integrated amp plus digital input including a USB port (again on its front). The RN500 also has an rJ45 (ethernet port) so that it can be connected up to a home network in order to access audio files over that network and or it can be connected to the internet for nternet radio access.

Kirky1980

Standard Member
Ah ok I will look them up and also not sure if this will make a difference or not but I like to listen to music loud as I currently have an older kef 2005 egg setup with the ht2se sub from the 3005 and I listen to music as loud as my pioneer amp will go lol not sure if other people would do this or not so if I'm looking to go for the ls50's would I need something nearer to the 100watt rating to get the loudness out of them or not

dante01

Distinguished Member
The LS50 speakers are reported to be rather difficult to drive so more power is preferable, but only if the amp has the quality of amplification as opposed to just brute force. The Yamaha should in theory be able to drive the speakers to levels that will damage your hearing over prolonged periods of listening within a small to moderately sized listening room. If you wanted something to go loud then the KEF LS50 speakers were probably not the best option. They have a refined sound as opposed to a big sound. Also note that their output in terms of bass can be somewhat lacking when compared to similarly priced floorstanders. Any amp with at least 30 - 40 watts of power will suffice. If constantly output 100 watts or more to the speakers then you run a risk of damaging them. They are rated 25 - 100 watts.

Last edited:

Andrew K

Banned
The Marantz PM6005 has the inbuilt dac that you need but no USB. Add an airport express or apple TV into the mix and I think you have what you want.

The next step up for me would be an Audiolab DAC such as the q-dac with the m-pwr
Audiolab Q-DAC M-PWR - Quantum AV

Kirky1980

Standard Member
Ok well also don't have a lot of room also so that's why I thought the kefs would be good although I somehow think that they would probably be better with floorstands even though I could put them on a window sill in my conservatory and I haven't heard them also at a loud volume really so I'm gonna maybe have to try and listen to them again somewhere if they're still available somewhere for demo and also did see someone saying an arcam a38 sounded good with them so might have to see what these sell for :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom